Skip to main content

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:

City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh development plan - Southside District Plan - 1957 zoning, 1973

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/C/4.3
Scope and Contents Copy of plan (90cm x 116cm) by the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh showing details of land-use zoning in 1957 within the boundary of their South Side District Plan. The information is hand painted onto an Ordnance Survey plan at 1:1250 scale with the boundary of the district plan marked on it. There is a coloured legend to the ownership parcels.
Dates: 1973

City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh development plan: University: Nicolson Street Comprehensive Development Area, 1972

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.4
Scope and Contents Set of 4 coloured manuscript themed plans by the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh overlaid on an Ordnance Survey 1:1250 scale mosaic base map (90cm x 120cm). One is a zoning map with coloured areas indicated for phases 1-4, each phase taking 5 years. One shows the levels of surveys required in certain areas, one shows electoral ward boundaries and one shows compulsory purchase designations in the area, with total acreages.
Dates: 1972

EUCDA sections, 1961

 Item
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.10
Scope and Contents Pen and ink manuscript transparancy at 1:1250 scale (75cm x 85cm) of sections of the proposed layout for the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area. 4 sections are shown along with heights in feet. There is no base plan showing the location of the sections or indication of where the heights given are measured from.
Dates: 1961

Proposed dental hospital, University of Edinburgh : general correspondence, 1967-1976

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/10.1
Scope and Contents A file entitled "Lister Trust Site - proposed Dental Hospital". The file contains notes of meetings with interested parties, correspondence, committee papers and minutes relating to the University of Edinburgh's application to the the Corporation of the City of Edinburgh for planning permission to build a dental hospital on a site owned by the Lister Trust, close to the location of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, at the time. Committee papers represented include: The University of Edinburgh...
Dates: 1967-1976

Proposed dental hospital, University of Edinburgh: site studies, c1974

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/10.2
Scope and Contents Two studies carried out by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates, evaluating sites for the construction of a proposed Dental Hospital and School for the University of Edinburgh. The first compares 3 sites within the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area. The second looks in more detail at one of the sites, the "Bristo Site".
Dates: c1974

South Side Local Plan - University of Edinburgh policy statement on development in the area covered by the South Side Local Plan, 1974

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/C/4.4
Scope and Contents 2 plans (88cm x 118cm) by the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh showing the University of Edinburgh policy statement on the area within the boundary of the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh South Side Local Plan. There are 2 plans. The first is a transparancy of an Ordnance Survey plan at 1:1250 scale with the boundary of the South Side Local Plan, header and scale information added. Letratone arrows and hand drawn boxes have been added. The second is a laminated paper print of the transparancy...
Dates: 1974

University Comprehensive Development Area map, 1965

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.9
Scope and Contents Copy of a land-use plan for the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (90cm x 127cm) by the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh. Land use parcels are identified by hand applied colour to a base map overlaid on a 1:1250 scale plan of the area. Acreages for the land parcels are given. There is a legend to the colour coding with total acreages for each land type.
Dates: 1965

University of Edinburgh central area development, 1979

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.2
Scope and Contents Set of 12 themed plans, of the University of Edinburgh central area development. 8 are coloured manuscript, overlaid on the same 1:2500 scale Ordnance Survey plans and titled "University of Edinburgh central area development". One is a base plan. Several have large numbers stencilled on the lower left hand corner and are sub-titled as follows: 1.01 - buildings listed in the statutory list of...
Dates: 1979

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1964

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.1
Scope and Contents Set of 21 themed plans, overlaid on the same area of an Ordnance Survey plan, showing the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962). 20 are at 1:2500 scale and cover the themes: commerce and industry, retail shops and service trades, land use, existing bus routes, existing sewers, existing mains water, existing gas mains, existing high voltage cables, existing low voltage cables, existing post office underground plant, existing water mains, zoning plan, proposed road plan,...
Dates: 1964

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: Buccleuch Place redevelopment, 1969-1972

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/13
Scope and Contents Buccleuch Place redevelopment consists of:
  1. plans: proposed alterations for various houses in Buccleuch Place, (1951-1972)
  2. plans: Buccleuch Place survey - preliminary survey of accommodation as used May 1969, (1969)
Dates: 1969-1972