Skip to main content

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:

George Square Redevelopment: faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, plans, 1964-1966

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/6.5
Scope and Contents plans: tentative planning proposals: Arts and Social Sciences Precinct, (1964) plans: Arts Faculty Block D - William Robertson Building and David Hume Tower, (1964) plans: sketch layout of Windmill House area, (1964) plans: Podium edge details - blocks C, D and E, (1966) plans: Arts Faculty Block G feasibility study, (1965) ...
Dates: 1964-1966

George Square redevelopment: reports, 1960-1973

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/6.3
Scope and Contents 5 reports concerning proposals for the redevelopment of George Square by the University of Edinburgh. Included is the 1963 proposal for the whole of George Square, by Percy Johnson-Marshall, in his capacity as Planning Consultant to the University. Original photographs of scenic drawings by Alexander Duncan Bell and an architectural model, used as illustrations for this report, are included. Other reports are: proposals for disabled access by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates, and...
Dates: 1960-1973

Plans of Chambers Street development, Edinburgh, 1925-1973

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/7
Scope and Contents Chambers Street development consists of:
  1. plans: National Library of Scotland feasibility studies, (c1971-1973)
  2. plans: Proposals for the new Museum of Scotland, (1925-1973)
  3. report on the Argyle Brewery Site, (1973)
Dates: 1925-1973

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): drafts and final publication, 1962-1963

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.4
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): drafts and final publication consists of: published copy of University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area ( 1962) published copy of University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area...
Dates: 1962-1963

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): photographs of architectural models, 1961-1962

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.6
Scope and Contents Photographs of architectural models of Edinburgh University Comprehensive Development Area 1962 consists of photographs of 5 different models. model 1: 1:1250 scale model of St Leonard's Redevelopment Area by Percy Johnson-Marshall and Associates: 3 annotated photographs of this area, (c1961) model 2: 1:1250 scale model of the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1962, by...
Dates: 1961-1962

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): preparation photographs, c1961

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.3
Scope and Contents Preparation photographs for the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962) consists of: 4 small notebooks, entitled Side 1 to Side IV: Edinburgh - Photographs University Area , containing photographs and notes of the area around the University of Edinburgh, (c1961) miscellaneous aerial photographs and panoramas of the...
Dates: c1961

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area Review - aerial photographs, c1969-c1980

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/15
Scope and Contents A bundle of 7 oblique aerial photographic prints (20cm x 25cm) of central Edinburgh. 5 show the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area. One shows the St James Centre in detail, while the remainder shows an area around the city's west end. 5 of the photographs are stamped on the rear by Scotsman Publications Ltd and have their original reference number and date. The remaining 2 photographs show close up detail of George Square and Bristo Square. One of these photographs is in...
Dates: c1969-c1980

University of Edinburgh Medical School extension: construction photographs, c1976

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/9.4
Scope and Contents Packet of 4 black and white photographic prints (8cm x 12cm) showing the north side of George Square, in Edinburgh, while the University of Edinburgh Medical School extension is under construction.
Dates: c1976

University of Edinburgh: Proposed Physical Education Building: model photographs, 1970s

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/11
Scope and Contents A set of approximately 60 photographic negatives from the same film. About half of these depict an architectural model of the proposed physical education building for the University of Edinburgh. The remainder are personal photographs of Percy Johnson-Marshall's children during a family holiday.
Dates: 1970s

University of Edinburgh Student Amenity Centre: reports and photographs of architectural models, 1967-1970

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/8.1
Scope and Contents Items relating to the development of the University of Edinburgh Student Amenity Centre. These include: a packet of photographic prints and negatives of a rough architectural model of the planned centre, a copy of Percy Johnson-Marshall's official development report for the centre, a photographic print (23cm x 33cm) of a finished architectural model of the centre which was used as an illustration in the report and a booklet appealing for funds to build a new chaplaincy centre.
Dates: 1967-1970