Skip to main content

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 61 Collections and/or Records:

Early Theses

 Collection — Box: EUA CA3
Identifier: EUA CA3
Scope and Contents Portfolio of printed sheets listing students submitting theses per class. The name of the relevant Regent in charge is recorded on each sheet.
Dates: 1641-1694

Edinburgh University memorabilia relating to James Robert Thom, 1929-1932, 1954

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-1455
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of 5 menu cards from the Annual Dinners of the Edinburgh University Forestry Society for the years 1929-1932 - the years covering the course followed by James Robert Thom - and for 1954. The latter was 25 years after Thom's first year at University. The cards for 1929 and 1932 are heavily autographed, and the card for 1931 notes that J. R. Thom was the Chairman which meant that he was required to propose a toast to 'the guests' during the 1931 Annual...
Dates: 1929-1954

Engineering drawings of John McKay Campbell

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-2011
Content Description This fonds consists of 25 technical drawings produced by John McKay Campbell for his engineering degree, which he started in 1934 at the University of Edinburgh, and completed in June 1939 after the war. Titles of drawings include: "D.C. Machine", "Light Country Bridge", "Proposed road", "Grouped flange-place splice", "Survey of pasture fields", "Survey of drill fields", and "Non-concurrent coplanar forces".
Dates: 1934

Essay written by George William Jones

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-1261
Scope and Contents The essay, manuscript, pp.32, entitled What is or what ought to be the meaning of Causation in the physical world? is dated 5 March 1900, and signed George W. Jones. On the cover is note: If lost / please return to / Geo. W. Jones / 52 North Bridge / Edinburgh / Reward
Dates: 1900

EURAGONNA Charities Week magazine, 1949

 Item — Box: CLX-A-309
Identifier: Coll-1848/19-0060
Scope and Contents One issue of Euragonna Charities Week magazine, dated 1949. Euragonna was a magazine published by the Students' Representative Council of the University of Edinburgh to raise money for charities - in 1949, these were The British Empire Research Fund, The Lady Provost's Fund, and the University Settlement. The magazine contains articles, poems, illustrations, and caricatures from students, as well as advertisements. It also...
Dates: 1949

Graduates in Arts (under new ordinances) / Arts & Social Sciences, 1893-1970

 Series
Identifier: EUA IN1/ADS/STA/5
Scope and Contents Graduation schedules including examinations taken. Retitled 'Arts and Architecture' between 1961-1963 and 'Arts and Social Sciences between 1964-1970.
Dates: 1893-1970

Graduates in Commerce, 1920-1966

 Series
Identifier: EUA IN1/ADS/STA/11
Scope and Contents From the Sub-subfonds: Records of student matriculation, examination and graduation.
Dates: 1920-1966

Graduates in Education, 1914-1947

 Series
Identifier: EUA IN1/ADS/STA/6
Scope and Contents Graduation schedules including examinations taken.
Dates: 1914-1947

Graduates in Law, 1914-1947

 Series
Identifier: EUA IN1/ADS/STA/7
Scope and Contents Graduation schedules including examinations taken, as follows:
  1. Graduates in Law (BL and LLB) 1864-1903
  2. Graduates in Law (BL) 1904-1950
  3. Graduates in Law (LLB) 1904-1940
  4. Graduates in Law (LLB and Diploma in Law Practice) 1940-1964
Dates: 1914-1947

Graduates in Medicine, 1833-1989

 Series
Identifier: EUA IN1/ADS/STA/8
Scope and Contents Graduation schedules including examinations taken. Began as 'Medical Examinations' and retitled 'Medical Graduates' in 1903.
Dates: 1833-1989