Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:

"Bristo Square" plans published for consultation, c1978

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.5.5
Scope and Contents Reprint of a double page article from Edinburgh University Bulletin No 6 entitled "Bristo Square" plans published for consultation. This article outlines the plans for the creation of Edinburgh's new square and includes architectural drawings of the proposals. An aerial photograph of the site before the commencement of the necessary road realignment is also included.

Development of Bristo Square: photographs, c1979

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.4
Scope and Contents 16 black and white photographic prints (26cm x 40cm). Some show buildings and details of buildings in London. The remainder show details of street furniture in the area which was redeveloped to make way for Bristo Square, Edinburgh. There is also a photo mosaic (11cm x 23cm) showing an oblique aerial view of the area prior to redevelopment. These photos were collected to inform the design of street furniture for the newly created Bristo Square.

George Square Redevelopment: aerial photographs, 1965-1967

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/6.4
Scope and Contents 14 black and white photographic prints showing George Square in Edinburgh. 2 of these have been printed in a publication: 1 photograph of University of Edinburgh's Appleton Tower under construction, with cleared sites to the south and east of the square (61cm x 40cm), (1965) 1 photograph of the completed University of Edinburgh Main Library and Faculty of Social Sciences precinct, in the...

University of Edinburgh: "An Expanding University" - exhibition of university development at Adam House, correspondence, papers and photographs, 1960-1984

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/F/3
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh: Permanent exhibition of university development at Adam House, correspondence, papers and photographs file consists of: correspondence including notes concerning work required to set-up the exhibition, the possibility of reinstating it and concern about its future. completed information forms concerning the buildings to be profiled in the exhibition a...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area Review - aerial photographs, c1969-c1980

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/15
Scope and Contents A bundle of 7 oblique aerial photographic prints (20cm x 25cm) of central Edinburgh. 5 show the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area. One shows the St James Centre in detail, while the remainder shows an area around the city's west end. 5 of the photographs are stamped on the rear by Scotsman Publications Ltd and have their original reference number and date. The remaining 2 photographs show close up detail of George Square and Bristo Square. One of these photographs is in...

University of Edinburgh: development of miscellaneous areas, c1958-1978

 Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/G
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh: development of miscellaneous areas consists of:
  1. plans: Peffermill playing fields (1966-1978)
  2. aerial photograph: Pollock Halls of Residence (1967)
  3. plans: Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies (c1958-1968)

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: aerial photographs, 1964-1967

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/2.3
Scope and Contents A series of 14 large format black and white aerial photographic prints (maximum size 30cm x 50cm) of the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings, taken in the 1960s by a professional photographer, and purchased by Percy Johnson-Marshall (possibly on behalf of Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates) in connection with University of Edinburgh Development work at this location.

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: photographs, 1949-1978

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/2
Scope and Contents The University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: photographs series consists of:
  1. photographs of an architectural model (c1978)
  2. general photographs (c1978)
  3. aerial photographs (1964-1967)

University of Edinburgh: Pollock Halls of Residence, c1967

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/G/2
Scope and Contents 1 black and white photographic print (29cm x 37cm) by Planair of an aerial photograph of the University of Edinburgh Pollock Halls of Residence, looking towards the east.