Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:

Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, 1990-1993

 Archival Record
Identifier: EUA IN1/ACU/C1
Scope and Contents
  1. 'SPACE'
  2. Planning Executive Committee
  3. School of Biology: Planning and Policy Group and Steering Committee
  4. Division of Biological Sciences Working and Advisory Group

Interviews with distinguished British scientists, 1969-1971

 Series
Identifier: EUA CA16/2
Scope and Contents Interviews with: Sir William Lawrence Bragg ( 1890-1971), physicist (1 CD) Sir Harold Brewer Hartley ( 1878-1972 ), physical chemist (23 CDs) Sir Alfred Charles Bernard Lovell ( b1913), radio astronomer, pioneer of radar and radio telescopes (3 CDs) Lord John Boyd Orr ( 1880-1971), nutritional physiologist (1 CD) Sir Frederick Stratten Russell...

Interviews with former staff of the Institute of Animal Genetics, 1969-1971

 Series
Identifier: EUA CA16/1
Scope and Contents Contains interviews with: Charlotte Auerbach, Alick Buchanan Smith, Lord Balerno, F.A.E. Crew, Frank Fraser Darling, Hugh Paterson Donald, Honor Fell and Alan William Greenwood. The interviewer in all cases is Margaret Deacon.

Material relating to the University of Edinburgh, 1946-1975

 Series
Identifier: Coll-41/8
Scope and Contents This material includes correspondence with the ARC and University boards and committees upon which Waddington sat, as well as material concerning Waddington's lectures at the University.

Most of the files of correspondence contain original letters from correspondents, as well as manuscript or carbon copies of Waddington's responses.

Medical Research Council Negotiations, 1971-1974

 Series
Identifier: EUA IN1/ACU/M1/5/14
Scope and Contents correspondence, chronologically arranged, largely concerning the future of the Molecular Genetics Unit at the University of Edinburgh

Personal and departmental papers, 1934-1975

 Series
Identifier: Coll-41/9
Scope and Contents The material within this series concerns Waddington's own research and professional arrangements, as well as departmental and staffing matters concerned with the Institute of Animal Genetics.

Most of the files of correspondence contain original letters from correspondents, as well as manuscript or carbon copies of Waddington's responses.

Records of the Department of Molecular Biology, 1957-1993

 Sub-subfonds
Identifier: EUA IN1/ACU/M1
Scope and Contents The records of the Department of Molecular Biology consist of: courses offered by the department departmental administration relations with the University of Edinburgh and other educational bodies relations with other scientific and government bodies papers and articles written by people connected with the department material...

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: buildings plans, 1951-1978

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/5
Scope and Contents The University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: buildings plans consists of: plans: proposed car park plans, (1971 plans: College of Agriculture, (1954-1974) plans: King's Buildings Centre, (1964-1973) plans: Maths / Physics Institute, (1965-1975) plans: zoology building, (1959-1973 plans: department of animal...

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: department of animal genetics, 1958

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/5.6
Scope and Contents 6 copy architectural plans (76cm x 130cm) by Robert Matthew, Johnson-Marshall and Partners showing the University of Edinburgh Department of Animal Genetics at King's Buildings. Plans include a full site layout and a rabbit house layout both at 1/8" to 1' scale; a full site layout at 1/16" to 1' scale; and plans, sections and elevations for the mutagenesis building, mouse house and rabbit house all at 1/4" to 1' scale.