Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:

City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh development plan: University: Nicolson Street Comprehensive Development Area, 1972

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.4
Scope and Contents Set of 4 coloured manuscript themed plans by the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh overlaid on an Ordnance Survey 1:1250 scale mosaic base map (90cm x 120cm). One is a zoning map with coloured areas indicated for phases 1-4, each phase taking 5 years. One shows the levels of surveys required in certain areas, one shows electoral ward boundaries and one shows compulsory purchase designations in the area, with total acreages.

Development of Bristo Square: discussion notes, 1978

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.2
Scope and Contents This file contains discussion notes by Percy Johnson-Marshall, in his role as planning consultant to the University of Edinburgh. These cover the New Pedestrian Square at McEwan Hall ( 1978) and Lothian Street / Potter Row Realignment ( 1978) . Architectural drawings, maps and landscape plans are also included. Some of these...

Development of Bristo Square: general administration files, 1976-1980

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.1
Scope and Contents This file contains the contents of 4 files dealing with the conception, design and development of Bristo Square as part of the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962). Each file covers an individual year: 1976, 1978, 1979 and 1980. There is no file for 1977. The contents include draft and finished plans, architectural drawings, scenic drawings, reports and plans for an ideas competition. Detailed estimates for the cost of the project are included. Relevant University of...

Edinburgh South Side District Plan: papers and correspondence, 1973-1980

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/C/1
Scope and Contents Edinburgh South Side District Plan: papers and correspondence Subseries consists of:
  1. Edinburgh South Side District Plan: papers and correspondence (1973-1975)
  2. Edinburgh South Side District Plan: general correspondence (1974-1980)

Lothian Street / Potterrow realignment, 1979

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.5.2
Scope and Contents 3 copy plans, on paper, (85cm x 115cm) showing the proposed road realignment of Lothian Street and Potterrow, in Edinburgh, to make way for the construction of Bristo Square. One plan shows the road alignment and associated banking and bridgework overlain on an Ordnance Survey 1:1250 plan. This also shows the electricity supply in the area overlaid. The other 2 plans are at 1:500 scale show different details of layout, measurements, street furniture etc. One of these plans is hand coloured.

Lothian Street / Potterrow realignment, 1978

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.5.3
Scope and Contents Mixed collection of working drawings and plans (maximum dimension 86cm x 122cm) depicting the creation of Bristo Square in Edinburgh. There is a 3-dimensional pencil drawing, on tracing paper, of an oblique bird's eye view of the square and its adjacent buildings. 2 coloured (in thick felt-tip pen) paper stylised manuscript plans of the area. The first shows the proposed surface of the square, the second shows the site-lines around the area of the square. There are 2 sheets of small-scale...

University Comprehensive Development Area map, 1965

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.9
Scope and Contents Copy of a land-use plan for the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (90cm x 127cm) by the City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh. Land use parcels are identified by hand applied colour to a base map overlaid on a 1:1250 scale plan of the area. Acreages for the land parcels are given. There is a legend to the colour coding with total acreages for each land type.

University of Edinburgh - Bristo Square, 1979

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.5.1
Scope and Contents 4 copy 1:200 scale civil engineering plans (83cm x 120cm) showing the Lothian Street / Potterrow junction in Edinburgh, prior to realignment for the creation of Bristo Square. An outline base plan, which has been used to create the other plans in this file, is on a transparancy. A plan (2 copies) showing height measurements [and bore holes] is also on a transparancy. A paper plan subtitled "Existing services" shows the utilities in the area, which would be affected by the construction of Bristo...

University of Edinburgh - King's Buildings boundary layout plan, c1965

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/4.3
Scope and Contents Copy of an Ordnance Survey plan (65cm x 88cm) at 1:1250 scale, with the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings layout incorporated into the plan. The plan is overdrawn in felt-tip pen with the dimensions of a proposed new land lease to the adjacent golf club and an area of proposed new planting.

University of Edinburgh - King's Buildings boundary layout plan (2), c1965

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/4.4
Scope and Contents Copy of an Ordnance Survey plan (41cm x 60cm) at 1:2500 scale centred on the University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings. The plan is overdrawn in felt-tip pen showing some land parcels with reference numbers. Some information concerning topography and planning restrictions have also been overdrawn.