Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:

Development of Bristo Square: design briefs, c1977-1979

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/5.3
Scope and Contents This file contains a selection of design briefs for Bristo Square commissioned by Percy Johnson-Marshall in his role as Planning Consultant to the University of Edinburgh. These include a Design brief for prospective architects, an urban design study and a full proposal by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates. A student group study, submitted as part of the University of Edinburgh Department of Urban Design and Regional Planning MPhil...

Development of the University of Edinburgh Student Amenity Centre, 1967-1970

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/8
Scope and Contents Development of the University of Edinburgh Student Amenity Centre consists of:
  1. reports and photographs of architectural models, (1967-1970)
  2. University of Edinburgh Student Amenity Centre: architectural drawings, (c1967-1968
  3. plans, (c1967-1968)

Edinburgh South Side District Plan: general papers, 1962-1985

 Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/C
Scope and Contents Edinburgh South Side District Plan: general papers consists of:
  1. papers and correspondence, (1973-1980)
  2. reports, (1973-1980)
  3. photographs, (c1973)
  4. plans, (1973-1974)

George Square redevelopment, 1960-1973

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/6
Scope and Contents George Square redevelopment consists of: general correspondence, (1969-1973) Civic Trust Award, (1969) reports, (1960-1973) general photographs, (1965-1967) plans: faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, (1964-1966) plans: landscape and streetscape, (1964-1965) plans: faculty of science, (1963) ...

Plans of Chambers Street development, Edinburgh, 1925-1973

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/7
Scope and Contents Chambers Street development consists of:
  1. plans: National Library of Scotland feasibility studies, (c1971-1973)
  2. plans: Proposals for the new Museum of Scotland, (1925-1973)
  3. report on the Argyle Brewery Site, (1973)

Report on the Argyle Brewery Site, 1973

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/7.3
Scope and Contents Reports by Ian G Lindsay & Partners into the history of the disused Argyle Brewery site and a development proposal for student housing on the site. The reports were produced as part of the plans for redevelopment of areas around Chambers Street by the University of Edinburgh.

University of Edinburgh campus parking facilities, 1957-1972

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/F/2
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh campus parking facilities file consists of:
  1. report, (1957)
  2. plans: analysis of present and future car parking provision, (c1972)
  3. drawings for car parking provision proposals, (1972)
  4. parking George Square Lane, (c1972)
  5. King's Buildings parking, (1964-1972)

University of Edinburgh campus parking facilities: King's Buildings parking, 1964-1972

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/F/2.5
Scope and Contents 3 copy plans (57cm x 77cm) by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates concerning parking arrangements for the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings. The first plan is shows the results of a cycle-survey overdrawn on a 1:1250 Ordnance Survey plan of the area. This is accompanied by a type-written report. The second plan shows interim parking proposals at 1:1250 scale. The third plan is a rough sketch showing actual locations and numbers of 407 parked cars between 10.30 and 12.30 on the 25...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1925-c1980

 Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B
Scope and Contents Collected material relating to the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area as a whole, or different locations within it.: University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, (1962) interim reports, (1969-1970 staffing issues, (1961-1962) general correspondence, sub-committee papers and minutes, (1973-1977) development of...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: Old College Redevelopment, 1949-1977

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/12
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: Old College Redevelopment consists of:
  1. reports and photographs, (1964-1977)
  2. plans, (1949-1977)