Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:

Edinburgh University Register, 1644

 Item
Identifier: EUA IN1/GOV/CRT/Da.21/1
Scope and Contents The register contains the discipline and rules for the College of Edinburgh. In the back of the volume, written upside down, are notes made by Mackie on European and Scottish family trees, both royal and landed families, history of parts of Europe including more detail on Scottish and English history, with listings of significant events.

It is almost certainly a later copy: this is definitely so if it was written by Mackie.

File Series 'A', 1833-1987

 Series — Container: EUA IN1/ADS/SEC/A (multiple box files)
Identifier: EUA IN1/ADS/SEC/A
Scope and Contents Files in 13 subseries: Faculty of Arts (1872-1977) Bequests (1912-1987) Faculty of Divinity (1927-1984) Faculty of Law (1919-1958) Lectures (1885-1965) Faculty of Medicine (1833-1971) Miscellaneous (1884-1981) Faculty of Music (1891-1954) Faculty of Science (1907-1956) ...

Legal basis of the University, 1644-1893

 Series
Identifier: EUA IN1/GOV/CRT/Da.21
Scope and Contents Printed and handwritten copies of legal and similar documents relating to the University of Edinburgh, providing the historical legal context.

Letter to Sir Donald Francis Tovey from A. H. Mears, 09 March 1928

 Item
Identifier: Coll-411/1/1/L1401
Scope and Contents Letter, 9 March 1928, Cambridge, A. H. Mears. Suggesting the setting up of a complimentary council at the University of Edinburgh. Holograph signed.

Letter to Sir Donald Francis Tovey from Betty Balfour, 08 February 1929

 Item
Identifier: Coll-411/1/1/L722
Scope and Contents Letter, 8 February 1929, Surrey, Betty Balfour to Donald Tovey. Discussion of the appointment of a new chancellor. Holograph signed.

Papers of Professor Michael Anderson

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-1351
Scope and Contents Copies of printed documents (memoranda, committee papers, emails), many with autograph annotations, relevant to the review of support services, academic management restructuring and devolution to colleges and schools, along with several large tables charting the relevant chairs, duties, and particulars of appointment of professors across the older Faculty structure of the University - all covering the period 2001-2002.

Papers of Sir David Smith, Principal of Edinburgh University, 1987-1994

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-1085
Scope and Contents The boxes contain 39 files and 3 scrapbooks. The files cover a variety of subjects, from: appointment as Principal; financial crisis; recovery plan; restructuring; graduation addresses; talks and speeches; anglicisation; new University logo; and, the installation of Muriel Gray as rector. The scrapbooks contain cuttings or copies of cuttings on: the closure of the Dental School; the anglicisation of Edinburgh University; attacks on the University as inefficient; league tables; cuttings relating...

University Court, 1644-date

 Sub-subfonds
Identifier: EUA IN1/GOV/CRT
Scope and Contents papers relating to the legal basis of the University: Ordinances, Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments etc. (2 volumes) 1583-1809 minutes (draft and final), agenda papers and billets, 1859-present letterbooks (31 volumes) c1872-1919 papers relating to specific legal cases, disciplinary matters etc. University Grants Committee / Funding...

University Governance and legal basis of the university

 Sub-Fonds
Identifier: EUA IN1/GOV
Scope and Contents
  1. Chancellor
  2. Rector
  3. University Court
  4. Senatus Academicus
  5. General Council
  6. Curators of Patronage