University of Edinburgh. Faculty of Arts (university faculty)
The Faculty of Arts was constituted in 1708 with six professors. This system of teaching replaced the 'Regent system' where a single teacher conducted a class through the whole curriculum. Now, there were Professors each taking a particular subject. The subjects in the Arts Faculty were Latin, Greek, mathematics, logic, moral philosophy, natural philosophy and English literature. The teaching of rhetoric was added in 1762.
On 15th April 1777, the minutes for the first meeting of the Faculty of Arts state that "for the future, The Faculty of Arts shall keep their own Minutes of Records as a Branch of the University". Other Chairs were created as follow: Astronomy (1786); Agriculture (1790); Engineering (1868); Geology (1871); Sanskrit (1862); Political Economy (1871); Education (1876); Fine Art (1880); Celtic (1882).
In 1816, an Ordinance provided for graduation with Honours. A student completeing an Ordinary Degree could offer himself for a further or Honours examination in one of four departments: Classical Literature, Mental Philosophy, Mathematics, or Natural Science. This last option was new and included Chemistry, Geology, Zoology and Botany.
The Faculty of Science was constituted in 1893, and the Arts Faculty was reconstituted with fifteen Chairs including History which was then about to be founded.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents plans: tentative planning proposals: Arts and Social Sciences Precinct, (1964) plans: Arts Faculty Block D - William Robertson Building and David Hume Tower, (1964) plans: sketch layout of Windmill House area, (1964) plans: Podium edge details - blocks C, D and E, (1966) plans: Arts Faculty Block G feasibility study, (1965) ...
Scope and Contents Buccleuch Place redevelopment consists of:
- plans: proposed alterations for various houses in Buccleuch Place, (1951-1972)
- plans: Buccleuch Place survey - preliminary survey of accommodation as used May 1969, (1969)