Skip to main content

University of Edinburgh. Faculty of Arts (university faculty)

 Organization

The Faculty of Arts was constituted in 1708 with six professors. This system of teaching replaced the 'Regent system' where a single teacher conducted a class through the whole curriculum. Now, there were Professors each taking a particular subject. The subjects in the Arts Faculty were Latin, Greek, mathematics, logic, moral philosophy, natural philosophy and English literature. The teaching of rhetoric was added in 1762.
On 15th April 1777, the minutes for the first meeting of the Faculty of Arts state that "for the future, The Faculty of Arts shall keep their own Minutes of Records as a Branch of the University". Other Chairs were created as follow: Astronomy (1786); Agriculture (1790); Engineering (1868); Geology (1871); Sanskrit (1862); Political Economy (1871); Education (1876); Fine Art (1880); Celtic (1882).
In 1816, an Ordinance provided for graduation with Honours. A student completeing an Ordinary Degree could offer himself for a further or Honours examination in one of four departments: Classical Literature, Mental Philosophy, Mathematics, or Natural Science. This last option was new and included Chemistry, Geology, Zoology and Botany.
The Faculty of Science was constituted in 1893, and the Arts Faculty was reconstituted with fifteen Chairs including History which was then about to be founded.

Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:

Podium edge details - blocks C, D and E, 1966

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/6.5.4
Scope and Contents 1/8" to 1' scale copy architectural detail drawings of the podium edge for the University of Edinburgh Faculty of Arts buildings and concourse at George Square.
Dates: 1966

Sketch layout of Windmill House area, 1964

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/6.5.3
Scope and Contents Copy of sketch layout plan at 1/16" = 1" of the area surrounding Windmill House, near George Square at the University of Edinburgh. The house was to be demolished to facilitate the construction of the new Arts Faculty buildings.
Dates: 1964

Tentative planning proposals: Arts and Social Sciences Precinct, 1964

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/6.5.1
Scope and Contents Set of 9 copy architectural plans and sections (62cm x 76cm), at 1:500 scale, of the proposed Arts and Social Sciences Precinct for the University of Edinburgh. All are stamped "draft for discussion only". 4 are hand overlaid using large-tip felt-tip pens to show proposals for pedestrian and traffic access and circulation at different levels of the development. 1 is similarly overlaid to show phasing information at podium level. There is a bird's eye view 3 dimensional view of the development....
Dates: 1964

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: Buccleuch Place redevelopment, 1969-1972

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/13
Scope and Contents Buccleuch Place redevelopment consists of:
  1. plans: proposed alterations for various houses in Buccleuch Place, (1951-1972)
  2. plans: Buccleuch Place survey - preliminary survey of accommodation as used May 1969, (1969)
Dates: 1969-1972