University of Edinburgh. Reid Chair of Music
Thomson died shortly after taking up the post and was succeeeded by Henry Rowley Bishop. Next came John Donaldson (1789-1865) and it was on Donaldson's watch that major development of the subject area began to take place, including, in 1860, the Reid School of Music in Teviot Place, built as a classroom and concert hall. Donaldson was succeeded by Sir Herbert Stanley Oakeley (1830-1903) in 1865. In 1891, Frederick Niecks (1845-1924) was appointed to succeed Oakeley.
In 1891, new Ordinances provided for 'Regulations for Degrees in Music. In 1894, this was approved by Parliament and the Faculty of Music now exisited in its own right. Previously Music came under the aegis of the Faculty of Arts.