Skip to main content

Masson Hall (1897-)



  • Usage: 1897


Masson Hall was opened free of debt, with accomodation for fiteen residents in 1897 by the Edinburgh Association for the University Education of Women to ensure the continued success of higher education for women at the University of Edinburgh. The original building sat at No. 31 George Square, and was purchased for £2500, with additions to follow. The Hall was intended primarly for students of the Arts, though students from the Faculty of Sicence, Medicine, Music and Dentistry also resided. A chief feature was the library, known as the Pfeiffer Room, named for its donor. The site at George Square was taken over in 1964 for redevelopment; Masson Hall was relocated to South Lauder Road where it remained until 1994. There is still in existence a Masson House at Pollock Halls.

Masson Hall, Retrospect and Forecast, 1931
"Masson Hall Of Residence - Our History", Ourhistory.Is.Ed.Ac.Uk, 2018> [Accessed 9 November 2018]

Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:

Interior photo of Masson Hall, lounge with fireplace, 1924-1937

Identifier: Coll-705/1/1/4
Scope and Contents

This photo depicts a lounge of Masson Hall with fireplace, small bookscase, paintings on the walls, a candlestick telephone on a small table, and armchairs. Flowers decorate the flat surfaces, and a reading lamp stands beside an armchair. There are no people pictured.

Dates: 1924-1937

Interior Photo of Masson Hall, woman consults a wall of bookshelves, 1924-1937

Identifier: Coll-705/1/1/3
Scope and Contents

This image depicts what seems to be a handsomely furnished parlour or library of Masson Hall, with white fireplace, white settee, table, and wall of bookshelves. A woman has her back to the camera, and consults a book on a shelf.

Dates: 1924-1937

Masson Hall Group Photos, 1924-1937

Identifier: Coll-705/6/5
Scope and Contents

These three photos are group photos of most likely Masson Hall residents, between the years 1924-1937. Marjorie Rackstraw is seated in the middle of the second row, and Masson Hall is most likely the building behind them.

Dates: 1924-1937

Papers related to Masson Hall, 1920s-1959

 Sub-Fonds — Box CLX-A-115
Identifier: Coll-705/1
Scope and Contents

This file contains newsletters, correspondence, reports, booklets, and photographs from Marjorie Rackstraw's time as Warden of Moray House and Warden of Masson House at the University of Edinburgh, as well as her involvement after her resignation with the Masson Association. A key event is the Masson Association party that was hosted at her house in Hampstead, which generated much correspondence.

Dates: 1920s-1959

Photograph of conservatory and students sunbathing, 1924-1937

Identifier: Coll-705/1/1/2
Scope and Contents

Photo depicts students sunbathing outside of a glass addition to Masson Hall.

Dates: 1924-1937

Photographs, regulation pamphlet, and examination paper relating to Masson Hall

 Fonds — Box CLX-A-1594
Identifier: Coll-2004
Content Description This fonds contains documents and photographs relating to Masson Hall, a hall of residence for women students who attended the University of Edinburgh. It consists of the following items: Two group photographs of students who resided at Masson Hall, dated 1943-44 and Summer 1946. One photograph bears the stamp of J. Campbell Harper, A.R.P.S, 181-185 Leith Walk, Leith, Edinburgh; One...
Dates: 1940s

Records of Masson Hall of Residence

Identifier: EUA GD58
Scope and Contents

Minutes, accounts, details of residents/members and related records.

Dates: 1893-1967