Free Church of Scotland (1843-:)
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including archaeological notes, January 1866
Scope and Contents Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including a description of the standing stones at Callanish [Calanais], telling how local people call them 'Na Tursachain' and 'na Fir bhreige' adding 'They make out that they cannot be counted'. He also describes another stone circle nearby at Gearradh na h-abhine [Gearraidh na h-Aibhne/Garynahine] as 'a circle within a circle' and names some of the island's other stone circles: Taigh nan Druiean at Grimartaidh and Gleann sagairt...
Dates: January 1866
Identifier: EUA GD5
Scope and Contents Note written by William Turnbull contating details about him, his wife Cecilia, and Thomas Wilkie, which describes their idea, along with three cuttings taken from The Scotsman. One includes an item on Popery in the Highlands by John Stuart Blackie, with a related poem on the establishment of Fort Augustus. Another reports weather conditions. The third includes coverage of a meeting of the Free Church Presbytery in Edinburgh.