MacNeil (of Barra)
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing primarily songs and stories collected in Miùghlaigh/Mingulay, Barraigh/Barra, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist and Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis. The main informants are Roderick MacNeil or Ruairidh an Rùma from Mingulay and Penelope MacLellan of Ormacleit/Ormaclete. The bulk of the material from MacNeil relates to the southernmost islands of the Hebrides and covers topics such as bird-fowling, the island way of life, place-names,...
Dates: c1868 to 16 June 1876
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, inscribed on the inside cover with 'Alexander A Carmichael Inland Revenue Lochmaddy N[orth] Uist 15/7 1870 Note Book No 8'. The majority of this notebook contains material collected on Tarasaigh/Taransay from the MacDonalds at Paible House, Mor or Marion MacQueen and Donald MacKinnon including notes on the island's archaeology, local history and geographical changes, with stories of how coastal erosion revealed burial sites and renditions of the...
Dates: 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871
Scope and Contents Story about Caibeal Bharra [Cille-Bharra, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] that its stones were used by Colonel [Roderick] MacNeil to build roads and dykes in Eoligarry [Eòlaigearraidh], on the advice of a mason named [Peter] Dawson, and that the colonel never prospered after that. Carmichael describes the chapel as having been 'high & large. Full of skulls & bones taken up fr[om] the graves'. The story has been scored through lightly in pencil.
Dates: September 1872
Story about Calum Cille [St Columba] and his travels around the islands of Scotland and Blàr na Cuigeal, September 1872
Scope and Contents Story about Calum Cille [St Columba] and his travels around the islands of Scotland probably collected from James Campbell, fisherman, Ceanntangabhal/Kentangval, Barraigh/Isle of Barra. The story notes that the castle on Loch Tangasdail was built by St Clair [Dùn Mhic Leòid, Loch Tangasdale, Barraigh/Isle of Barra], that St Clair married a woman from Kintail [Ceann Tàile, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty] and that he had eight hundred men who fought for him, although none of the men were from...
Dates: September 1872
Scope and Contents Story about Pearsan Mòr, chaplain and son to MacNeil of Barra, who lived at Ciolla [Chiall, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] that his wife, concerned that he might be interested in a woman who lived at Cliat [Cliaid], arranged for him to be ambushed by the other woman's servants on his return from hunting on Àird Ghrèin at Ciste nan Cli'eann. Pearsan Mòr killed ten of the twelve men although two of them lived until the morning. He fought them until he fell at Meallach where he was buried and a chapel...
Dates: 24 September 1872
Scope and Contents Two stories collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula telling how Cladh-Mhoire Nunton [Baile nan Cailleach] had a roof which was burned the same night as all other church roofs were burnt in Scotland for reasons which remain a mystery. 'No such secret as this was ever Kept. Nothing is know[n] of it.' The first person to be buried there was Bard dugh mhic Neill Bharrai [Bàrd Dubh Mhic Neill Bharraigh] who fell ill...
Dates: 20 January 1871