MacNeil (of Barra)
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, inscribed on the inside cover with 'Alexander A Carmichael Inland Revenue Lochmaddy N[orth] Uist 15/7 1870 Note Book No 8'. The majority of this notebook contains material collected on Tarasaigh/Taransay from the MacDonalds at Paible House, Mor or Marion MacQueen and Donald MacKinnon including notes on the island's archaeology, local history and geographical changes, with stories of how coastal erosion revealed burial sites and renditions of the...
Dates: 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871
Scope and Contents Note about Tunga stating that it was built of masonry and that the MacNeils killed 'all the natives' [of Barraigh/Isle of Barra]. The last of these people was a man called Gillios who 'had the nature of the sitheachs & used to run into the holes like rabbits'.
Dates: 24 September 1972
Scope and Contents Place-name note about Bàgh Chlann Neill, that it is at Losaid at Bun at Sruth Obe [Rubh' an Losaid, An Struth, An t-Ob/Leverburgh, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] and accompanying story fragment which reads 'Some MacNeills lived here & when they com[menced] a creach they ran away & took their boat to le'.
Dates: 13 July 1870
Scope and Contents Song collected from Donald MacPhee, blacksmith, Brèibhig/Breivig, Barraigh/Isle of Barra, beginning 'Hu ru o na hi oro, Na nam faite Seathain ri fhuasgla[dh]' [Seathan Mac Rìgh Èireann] composed of fifteen lines. The story tells how the song was composed by an aunt of MacLeod of Harris to MacNeill Dhun an t-Sleibh [Dùn an t-Sleibh, Barraigh/Isle of Barra], her husband. She alleged that a priest had tried to take advantage of her in the confessional the response to which was that the priest...
Dates: 21 May 1869
Story about Calum Cille [St Columba] and his travels around the islands of Scotland and Blàr na Cuigeal, September 1872
Scope and Contents Story about Calum Cille [St Columba] and his travels around the islands of Scotland probably collected from James Campbell, fisherman, Ceanntangabhal/Kentangval, Barraigh/Isle of Barra. The story notes that the castle on Loch Tangasdail was built by St Clair [Dùn Mhic Leòid, Loch Tangasdale, Barraigh/Isle of Barra], that St Clair married a woman from Kintail [Ceann Tàile, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty] and that he had eight hundred men who fought for him, although none of the men were from...
Dates: September 1872