Skip to main content

MacQuilken, Duncan (builder of the first mill on South Uist)


Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Song beginning 'Chi mi Caibeal Dhiar[maid]', 27 March 1872

Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/37
Scope and Contents Song beginning 'Chi mi Caibeal Dhiar[maid], Na chreag iasg' [Donnchadh Mac Cuilcein/Duncan Mac Cuilcein] collected from Barbara MacPhi [Barbara MacPhie] aged 73, Dreumsdale [Dreumasdal/Drimsdale, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The song is composed of twenty lines and is interrupted with a note on where 'Teisteamul nan gauna' [Teistamul nan Gamhna] is. The text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: 27 March 1872

Song entitled 'Donnacha MacCuilcein' and accompanying note, 30 October 1872 and 5 October 1875

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/116
Scope and Contents Song entitled 'Donnacha MacCuilcein' probably collected from Angus Currie, Àird na Monadh, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist beginning 'Se Don MacC[uilcein], Thug tuil eir gach sad'. The song is composed of twenty-four lines. The accompanying note states that the song was composed by 'Nin Donil ioc Cathain (Nic Mhuirich)' about Donnacha MacCuilcein [Duncan MacQuilken], who built the first mill in Uibhist/Uist, damming the water at Tobha Mòr/Howmore whereupon 'a great flood came & covered all the...
Dates: 30 October 1872 and 5 October 1875