Edinburgh antiquarian bookseller Ian Robertson Grant (BA Camb.) had been President of the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association in 1954-1955 and again in 1973-1974. He had also been a member of the Speculative Society of Edinburgh, and had held the office of President of the Society, 1949-1950, and he had served as the Society's librarian, 1948-1949.
In 1968, Ian R. Grant edited the Bicentenary edition of the History of the Speculative Society., published in Edinburgh by T. and A. Constable.
Grant was a cousin of the Edinburgh publisher and bookseller brothers John Grant and Douglas Grant (formerly John Grant Booksellers Ltd., 31 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, and John Grant, Rare and Secondhand Books, Old Maps and Prints, 13c and 15a Dundas Street, Edinburgh).