Skip to main content

Story about the ownership of a croft near St Moluag's Church, September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/36

Scope and Contents

Story about the ownership of a croft near St Moluag's Church [Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. The remains of the building are behind the church and belonged to a crofter who also had a croft 'above on Druim na bithe' which he held from Fear Thirphuir [Laird of Tirefour]. As the lands were not adjacent, the crofter had to trespass in order to move his cows from one piece of land to the next, on doing this via 'Taighanlochain & into the Port char[rain]' [Taigh an Lochain/Taylochan and Port a' Charrain] John MacAulay, the minister, who was 'a strong head[ed] man much disliked' saw him and took the croft 'over the poor croft[er's] head'.

Dates

  • September 1870

Language of Materials

English Gaelic

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Extent

From the Series: 117 folios ; 20 x 16.5 cm