Records of the Curators of Patronage, 1820-1961
Scope and Contents
Statutory & legal documents
Items relating to operational procedures
Sederunt Books, minutes & agenda
Draft Commissions by Curators
- Creation: 1820-1961
- University of Edinburgh. Curators of Patronage (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Certain material may be restricted due to Data Protection and other legislative reasons.
Biographical / Historical
Prior to 1858, patronage was exercised by the Town Council. When the university became self-governing in 1858, the same Act transferred the patronage of seventeen chairs to seven Curators, three elected by the University Court and four by the Town Council. The Curators now have the patronage of sixteen Chairs and a share in the patronage of the Chairs of Agriculture, Civil Law, Constitutional Law, Conveyancing, Humanity, Scots Law, and Economic Science. They hold office for three years.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession: Acc 1995/032