Skip to main content

Faculty of Medicine, 1776-1987

 Sub-subfonds
Identifier: EUA IN1/ACA/MED

Scope and Contents

  1. Minutes, 1776-1987, 33 volumes
  2. Letter books, 1909-1922, 16 volumes
This material has not yet been properly catalogued. We are aware that from between 1776 and 1831 the minutes are simply registers of exams, and that there seems to be a gap in the records between 1831 and 1846.

Dates

  • 1776-1987

Creator

Physical Description

About 5 linear metres

Conditions Governing Access

Certain material may be restricted due to Data Protection and other legislative reasons.

Biographical / Historical

Although the Medical School can trace its origins back to the barber surgeons of Edinburgh in the early part of the 16th century, the Faculty of Medicine did not gain formal recognition within the University until 1726. During the 18th and much of the 19th centuries, Edinburgh was regarded as the leading medical centre in Europe and up to the present day can claim many distinguished medical practitioners and scientists among its alumni and staff.

The academic departments in the Faculty of Medicine were distributed through the Medical School Buildings and the main teaching hospitals in the city of Edinburgh. University reorganisation in 2002 saw the Faculty of Medicine become part of the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.

Extent

From the Fonds: 100 plus linear metres

Physical Description

About 5 linear metres

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379