Skip to main content

Faculty of Music, 1838-1985

 Sub-subfonds
Identifier: EUA IN1/ACA/MUS

Scope and Contents

From the Sub-Fonds: Records of Faculties and successor Colleges.

Dates

  • 1838-1985

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Certain material may be restricted due to Data Protection and other legislative reasons.

Biographical / Historical

In 1806, a Chair in Music was created in the University of Edinburgh. General John Reid (1721-1807) had made a 'generous' provision in his will for a 'Professorship of Music in the College and University of Edinburgh'. However, it was not until 1839 that John Thomson was appointed as the Reid Professor of Music. This meant that Edinburgh was the first British university (after Oxford and Cambridge) to have a permanent Chair in the subject.

In 1860, the Reid School of Music in Teviot Place was built as a classroom and concert hall.

In 1891, new Ordinances provided for 'Regulations for Degrees in Music'. In 1894, this was approved by Parliament and the Music Faculty now exisited in its own right. Previously, the Reid Chair came under the aegis of the Faculty of Arts.

In 1967, the Faculty moved to Alison House in Nicolson Square.

Extent

2 linear metres

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379