Faculty of Science and Engineering, 1865-1996
Scope and Contents
- Minutes of the Science Degrees Committee and Faculty of Science (1865-1996)
- Correspondence about examinations (1864-1945)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
From 1920 the Faculty of Science was housed in the newly built Kings Buildings. In 1934 the Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies was affiliated to the University of Edinburgh. In 1951 the School became a constituent part of the University within the Faculty of Medicine. In 1964 the Professor of Veterinary Hygiene and Preventive Medicine was admitted to membership of the Faculty of Science prior to the creation of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
As the Faculty grew departments were organised into divisions within the Faculty, such as the Division of Biological Sciences. Science libraries were also developed within the University.
In February 1991 the Faculty of Science was renamed the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
1 tbc unit
- University of Edinburgh, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies (1951-1964)
- University of Edinburgh, Science Degrees Committee. Science Degrees Committee (1864-1993)
- University of Edinburgh. Faculty of Arts (university faculty)
- University of Edinburgh. Faculty of Medicine (1726-:) (university faculty)
- University of Edinburgh. Faculty of Science (1893-1991)
- University of Edinburgh. Faculty of Science and Engineering (1991-:)
- University of Edinburgh. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (1964-:)