Skip to main content

Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 1951-2002

 Sub-subfonds
Identifier: EUA IN1/ACA/VET

Scope and Contents

  1. Faculty minutes (1964-1988)

Dates

  • 1951-2002

Creator

Language of Materials

This material is in English

Physical Description

About 30 linear metres

Conditions Governing Access

Certain material may be restricted due to Data Protection and other legislative reasons.

Biographical / Historical

The Royal (Dick) Veterinary College was reconstituted as an integral part of the University of Edinburgh in 1951 and became a full faculty in 1964. Recent restructuring in the University (2002) abolished faculties and the School is now a part of the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.

Since 1962, the Faculty has operated on two sites, at Summerhall and at the Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, near Roslin, six miles south of Edinburgh. This split was rendered necessary because of the growing difficulty of obtaining large animal clinical material at Summerhall. Two site operation means that each of the undergraduate years can be exposed to work with farm animals and horses in an appropriate rural setting. Sited within the University's developing Technopole, the Easter Bush Veterinary Centre forms part of one of the most comprehensive aggregations of rural and agricultural research institutes in the world.

Extent

From the Fonds: 100 plus linear metres

Physical Description

About 30 linear metres

Archivist's Note

Grant Buttars 11 November 2005

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379