Correspondence concerning the compilation of 'Memoir of Edward Forbes', 1854-1861
Scope and Contents
- pen and ink sketches by Edward Forbes (c1854)
- letters from and to contributors and collaborators (1854-1861)
- letters to and from the publisher Alexander MacMillan (1860-1861)
- letters to and from the printer Thomas Constable (1860-1861)
- list of names and addresses of recipients of presentation copies (1861)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
Unfortunately George Wilson died (1859) leaving only a few chapters completed. With the support of Jessie Aitken Wilson (George Wilson's sister) Archibald Geikie (1835-1924) was asked to complete the task. For this purpose, she transferred all the personal papers and notebooks which her brother had collected, from a number of contemporaries, to Archibald Geikie. Permission was sought for this from the individual owners of the papers.
Edward Forbes' widow, now Emily M Yelverton, contested the ownership of her former husband's papers and tried to regain control of these to prevent the memoir from being completed. Intervention from Joseph Beete Jukes (1811-1869) meant that she eventually agreed to co-operate and provided additional information herself.
Further problems arose following the publication of the memoir when Andrew Crombie Ramsay (1814-1891) felt that personal sensitive information had been published in the memoir without his consent. This led to a rift between himself and Archibald Geikie.
From the Fonds: 2 metres
- Book Proposals
- Borrowing and Lending
- Forbes, 1815-1854 (professor of natural history, University of Edinburgh)
- Geikie, Archibald, Sir (Professor of Geology, University of Edinburgh)
- Jukes, 1811-1869 (director of the Geological Survey of Ireland)
- MacMillan, Alexander, 1815-1896 (publisher)
- Ramsay, Sir Andrew Crombie, 1814-1891 (Scottish geologist)
- Sketches, Preparatory (Art)
- Wilson, George, 1818-1859 (regius professor of technology, University of Edinburgh)
- Wilson, Jessie Aitken, fl.1860 (fiction writer, sister of George Wilson, wife of James Sime)
- Yelverton, Emily M, fl1860 (widow of Edward Forbes)