Skip to main content

Department of Anatomy, 1720-1960

 Sub-Fonds
Identifier: EUA IN1/ACU/A2

Dates

  • 1720-1960

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Physical Description

3 boxes None which affect the use of this material

Conditions Governing Access

Certain material may be restricted due to Data Protection and other legislative reasons.

Biographical / Historical

Demonstrators in Anatomy were formally recognised as 'Professors by the' Town Coucil in 1705. In 1720 Alexander Monro (primus) was given a life appointment as Professor of Anatomy. Two further generations of Alexander Monros followed. This 'dynastic succession' ceased with the appointment of John Goodsir in 1846. He in turn was succeeded by Sir William Turner in 1867, who remained in post until 1903, when he became Principal of the University. The Chair was then helf by Daniel John Cunningham from 1903, Arthur Robinson from 1909, James Coupar Brash from 1931 and George John Romanes from 1954 to 1984.

Teaching in the 18th century would have been heavily based around the Anatomy Theatre which was built in 1764 for Monro (secundus). In 1880 the department moved to purpose-built accomodation within the New Medical Buildings in Teviot Row.

Extent

3 boxes

Physical Description

3 boxes None which affect the use of this material

Archivist's Note

Grant Buttars 17 August 2011

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379