Marjory Kennedy-Fraser Lectures, Part 1 & 2, 11 May 1895-16 May 1923
Scope and Contents
- ‘Paper read to E.M.E.S. [Edinburgh Musical Education Society], 13 January 1915’, text on reverses of various recital programmes, mainly from Marjory Kennedy-Fraser’s Art Song recitals in 1905-1907, some pages missing, manuscript.
- ‘Matthay Paper to Boston, M.K.F. [Marjory Kennedy-Fraser]’, manuscript, letter from Mr C. L. Thompson, Boston, 3 May , appended.
- ‘Hugo Wolf, Edinburgh, 26 March 1904’, typescript.
- ‘On Drama’, text on reverses of Songs of the Hebrides leaflets, some pages possibly missing, manuscript.
- ‘Jacobite’, lecture-recital on Jacobite songs, in connection with the Jacobite Exhibition in the Outlook Tower, 26 June 1907, several pages appear to emanate from other lectures on same topic, some text on reverses of programmes from various Marjory Kennedy-Fraser Art Song recitals in 1905-07, manuscript, ‘Feill a’ Chomuinn Ghaidhealaich. Lecture-Recital. Songs of the Hebrides. By Mrs Kennedy-Fraser, assisted by Miss Margaret Kennedy, A.R.A.M.’, St Andrew’s Hall, Glasgow, 1 November 1907, recital programme, also part of page from The Oban Times, 18 April 1908.
- Excerpts from Die Elemente der Völkerpsychologie, by Wilhelm Wundt, Leipzig: [Kröner], 1913, not in Marjory Kennedy-Fraser’s hand, manuscript.
- ‘Art and the Citizen, W.C.A. [Edinburgh Women Citizens’ Association], [8 December 1920], also W.E.A. [Workers’ Educational Association]’, Edinburgh, 4 May 1921, two different versions of lecture, texts on reverses of small cut up parts of various leaflets etc., including parts of one Edinburgh AntiProhibition Association leaflet and several Songs of the Hebrides leaflets, some pages missing, manuscripts.
- ‘In Miss Small’s Chapel’, manuscript.
- ‘Perhaps not much Lowland song to be collected’, , manuscript., ‘Remarks as to acc.s [accounts]’, scattered notes, manuscript., various notes/excerpts, mainly referring to art songs, manuscripts., three annotated cuttings from Musical Standard: ‘How we hear music’ (11 May 1895), ‘This week’s supplement’ – on Edvard Grieg (15 August 1903), ‘Always well informed on matters Straussian, [...]’ – on Richard Strauss (23 April 1904).
- ‘To Teachers and students of Hebridean song, Mrs Kennedy-Fraser assisted by Miss Margaret Kennedy has arranged to give a series of Lecture Lesson Recitals, “Practical Hints on the Singing and Accompanying of Hebridean Songs”’, May , leaflet, also lecture notes, [16 May 1923], pages missing, manuscript.
- ‘Scotland, Highland & Lowland, [...]’, lecture notes on Scots songs, pages missing, manuscript.
- ‘Among the many interesting talks that we have had the opportunity of hearing in this room during this winter [...]’, lecture notes [‘Traces of Esoteric Tradition in Hebridean Lore’, read to the Edinburgh Branch of the Theosophical Society, 1 April 1923, typescript copy in EUL Gen. 287], pages missing, manuscript.
- ‘The Highlanders Institute movement which brings us here tonight is one in which I am deeply interested [...]’, lecture notes, first page only, manuscript.
- Lecture on Edvard Grieg, [12 December 1903], two pages only, typescript.
- Bundle of scattered lecture notes, in no particular order, also various other notes, manuscripts.
- 11 May 1895-16 May 1923
- Fraser, Marjory Kennedy-, 1857-1930 (singer, pianist, folk-song collector and arranger) (Author, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
From the Box: 1 box
Existence and Location of Copies
- Edinburgh Musical Education Society
- Edinburgh Women Citizens Association
- Grieg, Edvard, 1843-1907 (Norwegian composer, pianist and conductor)
- Hebrides (Scotland) -- Folk music
- Jacobites -- Songs
- Printed ephemera
- Theosophical Society. Scottish Lodge
- Workers' Educational Association