Records relating to the Davidson Clinic
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
1 box, 1 volume.
Biographical / Historical
Winifred Rushforth was born in 1885 in West Lothian. She was educated at Edinburgh Ladies College in Queen Street before completing Medical Studies at Edinburgh Medical College and then graduating MB ChB from the University in 1908. She spent early career years in India as a missionary, where she married, and then in 1929 she became a candidate for training at the Tavistock Clinic in London. In 1931, she and her husband came to Edinburgh, he to become Registrar and Secretary of the Edinburgh College of Art, and she to establish a clinic along the lines of the Tavistock. By 1939 she had gathered the helpers required, among them the Rev. Hogg, his Session Clerk, and the all important premises - within the Davidson Church. Soon the Davidson Clinic had its own premises nearby in Fettes Row, Edinburgh
The aims and objectives of the Davidson Clinic were similar to those of the Tavistock Clinic, namely therapeutic approaches in mental health. The Clinic spawned the Davidson Family Clinic and its work grew, requiring new and larger premises. The move to Chalmers Street made it possible to open an Occupational Therapy Department, and a hostel for mentally handicapped children was organised in Lauriston Gardens.
In 1951 the Clinic moved to still larger premises in Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh, and a daughter clinic was opened in Glasgow in 1952. In 1967, the Clinic in Edinburgh moved again, this time to Hartington Place.
Dr Winifred Rushforth retired in August 1967 and she received the OBE in 1968. She had always tried to help people achieve their true potential and to develop their true selves and amongst many who were deeply inspired by her insights was Charles, Prince of Wales who - at the suggestion of Sir Laurens van der Post - made a private visit to her. Dr. Winifred Rushforth died in 1983.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Records relating to the Davidson Clinic