Records of Edward Taylor, Architect and Planning Consultant
Scope and Contents
In archive boxes, there is: in Box 1 - a Feasibility Study, 1985, and, Feasibility report, 1994; in Box 2 - McEwan hall Improvement Phase 1, Minutes File, and letters and planning applications etc; in Box 3 - Reiach and Hall letters, Irons Foulner letters, Robertson and Dawson letters, Sandy Brown study and letters, and assorted plans, drawings, reports and letters; in Box 4 - drawings, letters, notes of meetings, and material on lighting; and in Box 5 - drawings and letters relating to the McEwan Hall Millenium Scheme, a presentation given on 24 March 1999, an application to the Heritage Lottery Fund, 1998, a Final Report to the University, 1998, an Historic Scotland condition report into the interior decoration, an Historic Scotland report on stonework cleaning trials, a market overview, and a dissertation on the Hall.
In plan boxes, there is: in Box 1 - drawings relating to the proposed incremental programme, McEwan Hall, presented at meeting 21 February 2000, and McEwan listed building consent; in Box 2 - University of Edinburgh, Old Medical School, drawings relating to 1925, 1929, 1958, and 1971 warrants for alterations to various components including gangway at Wilkie, lecture theatres, stair, Anatomy Museum, Dissecting Room, and mezzanine under the Anatomy Theatre, and Works Dept. drawings; in Box 3 - copies of McEwan Hall original drawings, and copies of original drawings of University buildings generally; in Box 4 - copies of University Library holdings of original McEwan Hall drawings; in Box 5 - roll of plans of the Medical School; and, in Box 6 - large roll of McEwan Hall architect's drawings, McEwan Hall drawings and plans 1998-to July, drawings of Old Medical School extension, and 1994 coloured feasibility study.
Board-mounted material consists of: 8 display drawings of the McEwan Hall improvements, job T/198, dated 3 July 1997, in scales 1:100 and 1:200 on thick light-foam-board, and 2 display drawings on thinner card; 2 loose axonometric drawings and 1 spiral bound sketch book with drawings and plans.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
The McEwan Hall is situated in Bristo Square, adjacent to Edinburgh University's Medical School. It was built by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921) between 1888 and 1897 in Italian Renaissance style, and originally planned as part of the University's new Medical School. It was funded by William McEwan, the brewer, and is used as a graduation, concert, meeting and examination hall.
From the early-1990s there had been a study into the refurbishment of the Hall and into the extension of its functions.
5 boxes; 6 drawing or plan-boxes; 2 wrapped piles board-mounted drawings.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Papers, plans and drawings of Edward Taylor, Architect and Planning Consultant
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script