Skip to main content

[Church history. MS on paper]

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-1140

Scope and Contents

The inventory includes mention of John Kennedy of Blairquhan and his chapel at St. Ninian's (1508). There is also the will of the jeweller and philanthropist, George Heriot (1563-1624), who left funds to Edinburgh's ministers to found the hospital which bore his name (now a school). In addition there are letters from Lord Salisbury, Fentoun (Alexander Erskine, Viscount Fentoun), and others, and including Scottish government letters of condolence on the death of Henry, Prince of Wales, 1611-1613.

In reverse orientation there is an extract fromA Continuation of the History of Scotland by Way of Annals from the beginning of K. James VIth Reign.

This is a bound manuscript, and an excellent complement to the Writs and Charters section component of the vast Laing collection.

Dates

  • 1670

Language of Materials

English

Biographical / Historical

EntitledA perfect Invantar of all the pious donations given to the kirks & hospitals since the day of King James the first of Scotland to the reign of King James the Sixth', this manuscript comprises: extracts from charters and documents recording annual rents and gifts to churches, colleges and hospitals between the 1450s and the 1540s; 17th century legacies and 'mortifications'; and, proclamations made by James VI of Scotland from 1604 to 1605.

Extent

1 volume

Physical Location

E2008.22
Title
Manuscript relating to Scotland's church history: 'A perfect Invantar of all the pious donations given to the kirks & hospitals since the day of King James the first of Scotland to the reign of King James the Sixth'

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379