Letters from Dr. R.H.Thouless to Dr. D.J.Bruce
Scope and Contents
The content includes:
- - in letter dated 12 May 1962 - indicating a term at the Psychological Dept., Melbourne, and at Pysch. Dept., Adelaide
- - in letter dated 16 June 1962 - a little on flora, fauna etc., small detail about academics met
- - in letter dated 26 December 1966 - a little on revision ofPsychology of religionand other publishing hopes
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
In 1921 Thouless was appointed Lecturer in Pyschology at Manchester University, then in 1926 he was Lecturer at Glasgow University, and then back to Cambridge as a Lecturer in 1938. At Cambridge he became Reader in Educational Psychology in 1945, and from 1961 he was Reader Emeritus there.
In 1962 and in 1966 Thouless was lecturing in Australia. He was a Consultant for the National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER) in 1964, President of the British Psychological Society in 1949, President of the Society for Psychical Research in 1942, President of Section J (Psychology) of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937. Thouless's publications spanned across six decades and includedAn introduction to the psychology of religion(1923),Straight and crooked thinking(1930),Straight thinking in war time(1942),Authority and freedom(1954),Experimental psychical research(1963), andMissing the message(1971).
Latterly Robert Henry Thouless had lived in Cambridge, and he died on 25 September 1984.
- Correspondence of Dr. Robert Henry Thouless (1894-1984)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script