Skip to main content

Material relating to the winding up of the Edinburgh Association for the University Education of Women

Identifier: Coll-1419

Scope and Contents

This collection of material largely relating to the winding up of the EAUEW is composed of:

  1. scrapbook of newspaper articles - mostly the Scotsman - about the Association from 1871 to 1879
  2. copy of a booklet about the Association covering 1867-1967, by E.J.B.W
  3. copy of the Statutory Instrument, 1972 No.1185 (S.82) Education, Scotland. The David Masson Scholarship Scheme 1972
  4. report to the Edinburgh Trust for the University Education of Women from the EAUEW, for the year to 31 July 1970
  5. final statement of account, the Edinburgh Trust for the University Education of Women, from 31 July 1970 to 31 December 1973


  • Creation: 1871-1973


Language of Materials


Conditions Governing Access

Generally open for consultation to bona fide researchers, but please contact repository for details in advance.

Biographical / Historical

The Edinburgh Ladies Education Association (ELEA) which was the forerunner of the Edinburgh Association for the University Education of Women (EAUEW) was founded on 15 October 1868 at 1 Inverleith Terrace, Edinburgh. The following year, Sophia Jex-Blake won the right for women to attend medical classes in the separate Extra-Mural School. The guiding force behind the setting up of the ELEA however, was Mrs Mary Crudelius who, with others, was able to use combined influence to win the guidance and advice of David Masson, Professor of Rhetoric and English Literature, a prominent supporter of the women's cause. By 1873, women were enrolled in Association classes as diverse as Mathematics, Moral Philosophy, Chemistry, Physiology, Botany and Bible Criticism. In 1874 a University Certificate in Arts was introduced, and by 1877 the Rules and Calendar of the Association were being printed in the University Calendar thus forging the link between the University of Edinburgh and the cause of women's education. With a change in name (to EAUEW) the Association continued to attract students to its classes, and to campaign to obtain a university education for women. In the end, the debate produced the Universities (Scotland) Act 1889 which led to the drawing up of Regulations for the Graduation of Women and for their instruction in the Universities, 1892. In 1893 eight women graduated from the University of Edinburgh. They had all been EAUEW students. Right from the start, classes were mixed with the exception of medical ones. With its main objective now achieved, the EAUEW turned to the provision of facilities and amenities for women. By 1897, a library and accommodation for women were available at Masson Hall, at that time located at George Square, Edinburgh. By 1914 more than a thousand women had graduated at the University.

The EAUEW was wound up in the 1970s.


2 folders

Physical Location


Immediate Source of Acquisition

Acquired November 2010. Accession no: E2012.48

Related Materials

Also within Special Collections, Edinburgh University Library, is a collection of archival material relating to the Edinburgh Association for the University Education of Women, Coll-42.

Processing Information

Catalogued by Graeme D. Eddie 15 January 2013

Material relating to the winding up of the Edinburgh Association for the University Education of Women (1970-1973)
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the University of Edinburgh Library Heritage Collections Repository

Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379