Material relating to Hugh Marwick
Scope and Contents
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
After graduation Marwick obtained a post as Chief English Master at the Grammar School in Burnley, Lancashire where he met his wife Jane Barritt. They were married in 1914 just after he had been appointed headmaster of the Burgh (now known as the Grammar) School in Kirkwall. During his time as headmaster of the Burgh School, he completed his D.Litt. (Edinburgh). His thesis presented in 1926 was on the original form of 'The Orkney Norn', and this would serve as the basis for a book.
After fifteen years as a headmaster, Marwick was appointed Executive Officer to the Orkney Education Committee - in effect, Director of Education, and it was for his services to education in Orkney that he was admitted Companion of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1938. Marwick retired at the age of sixty-five in 1946.
Dr Marwick was one of the founders of the Orkney Antiquarian Society in 1922 and was its Secretary for 17 years, during which he contributed papers to its Proceedings. He was also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. He was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1965. In addition to a large number of papers for the Orkney Antiquarian Society, he also contributed papers - mainly about finds in Orkney - to the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. His published works include The Orkney Norn (1929), and posthumously Orkney Farm-Names (1952).
Dr Hugh Marwick died in Kirkwall on 21 May 1965.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Material relating to Dr. Hugh Marwick (1881-1965)