Skip to main content

Album of operatic programmes, Dresden, 1911-1918

Identifier: Coll-1590

Scope and Contents

The scrap-album contains postcards showing the exterior of the Koenigliches Opernhaus in earlier years, and opera-singers or performers in their various roles. There are also circa 19 programmes of the operatic programmes at Dresden Opera House, 1911. Also within the album are three letters to 'Eleanor W. Dolie' (Dollie?) addressed to a Paris address.

The album holds the signature 'Eleanor W. Dolie' (Dollie?) facing inside cover, and was presented by 'Miss Eleanor Hughes'.


  • Creation: 1911-1918


Language of Materials


Conditions Governing Access

Open to bona fide researchers, but please contact repository for details in advance of visit.

Biographical / Historical

Dresden's Opera House was built 1871-1878 as the 'Altstaedter Hoftheater - Koenigliches Opernhaus' by Gottfried Semper and Manfred Semper. It was opened on 2 February 1878 with Goethe's 'Iphigenie auf Tauris'. Over the period 1912-1914 there were alterations of the interior decoration of the building. In 1919 it was renamed 'Saechsische Staatsoper'. In 1938 there was a renovation of the auditorium. The building was destroyed by bombs over the night of 13-14 February 1945. Over the period 1945-1955 safety works were carried out on the site and the remains, and afterwards it was left as a ruin until 1977. Between 1977-1985 it was rebuilt to Semper's plans with slight alterations and the addition of modern extension buildings. It was re-opened 13 February 1985.


1 volume

Physical Location


Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from other stock. Accession no: E2014.80

Processing Information

Catalogued by Graeme D. Eddie 23 April 2015

Scrap-album of Opera programmes (1911-1918 and postcards), and relating to Dresden Opera House - Kgl. Opernhaus
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the University of Edinburgh Library Heritage Collections Repository

Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379