Book, medals, and printed ephemera relating to Helen Patuffa Hood and Marjory Kennedy Fraser
- The printed book is a signed copy of The Road to the Isles (Edinburgh: Robert Grant & Son, 1927) by Kenneth Macleod given by the author himself to Patuffa as indicated by the inscription on the title page: "Kenneth Macleod, Michaelmas 1927 - Patuffa Kennedy-Fraser: "Bu bhriagh a sheinneadh i cruit. 'S gu'm b' fhearr na Sheinneadh, a beus"". This can be translated as “Beautiful her music on the harp; Beautifuller than her music, her goodness.” It is a quote by Kenneth Macleod which is printed in the introduction to Songs of the Hebrides. Enclosed in this volume were a postcard showing a man sitting in an office, signed "To Patuffa, with the affectionate regard of Charles Roche", and a letter from "M. G. Pettigrew" dated 26 June 1946, sent from Iona to "Dear Mrs Hood".
- Small number of pamphlets and leaflets related to the work of Marjory Kennedy-Fraser and her daughter Patuffa: an advert for the new edition of Songs of the Hebrides", c 1931; an issue of The Common Good magazine with an article on Marjory Kennedy-Fraser, February 1928; an advert for a recital of "Songs of the Hebrides" by Marjory & Patuffa Kennedy-Fraser, assisted by Margaret Kennedy, Wednesday 12 November c 1924; a black-and-white picture of Patuffa Kennedy-Fraser standing bare feet in the wood, dressed in a loose-fitting archaic robe, with the note "Patuffa Kennedy-Fraser, from Alice Boughton with the best of wishes"; a programme for a recital of "Songs of the Hebrides" at Tempest Anderson Hall, 21 March 1925; and two pamphlets with the Gaelic words of "Songs of the Hebrides" for voice and Celtic harp by Patuffa Kennedy-Fraser.
- Two medals from the Royal Academy of Music in their original boxes, awarded to Marjory Kennedy-Fraser in 1889 for Harmony and Singing. There is also a small tubular silver item in one of the boxes.
- 1889; 1925-1928; 1946
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
2 medals (In their respective boxes.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Boughton, Alice, 1866-1943 (Photographer) (Photographer)
- Folk music -- Scotland
- Folk songs, Scots
- Fraser, Marjory Kennedy-, 1857-1930 (singer, pianist, folk-song collector and arranger)
- Hood, Helen Patuffa, 1889-1967 (harpist)
- Macleod, Kenneth, 1871-1955 (Church of Scotland minister and folklorist)
- Printed ephemera
- women artists
- women musicians
- Book, medals, and printed ephemera relating to Helen Patuffa Hood and Marjory Kennedy Fraser, 1889-1946
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note