Skip to main content

Edinburgh Pathological Club

 Fonds
Identifier: GD23

Scope and Contents

Minutes and agendas 1886-1977; laws and lists of members 1902-1914; miscellaneous 1860-1977

Dates

  • 1860-1977

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year Scottish closure rules apply

Conditions Governing Use

Reproduction is subject to closure periods and physical condition

Biographical / Historical

The Edinburgh Pathological Club was founded in 1886 by Sir John Batty Tuke, for the purpose of 'discussing subjects connected with pathology'. The 25 members met monthly to read and discuss short papers, and topics tended to cover medical subjects other than merely pathology. In December 1954 the Club had its 500th meeting, where it was announced that Dr A.W.G. Clark of West Lothian had bequeathed over 5,000 to the Club for 'lectures on cancer'. In 1966, when Douglas Guthrie wrote his History of the Club, membership had risen to 265.

Extent

0.6 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers

Arrangement

Chronological within record series

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Unknown

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Dr Hugh Gilmour, Dept. of Pathology, University of Edinburgh, 15 May 2001

Accruals

No further accessions are expected
Title
Edinburgh Pathological Club

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392