Skip to main content

Edinburgh Northern Hospitals Board of Management

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB11

Scope and Contents

Board of Management and committee minutes 1948-1974; planning records 1950; Western General Hospital building extensions, plant etc 1953-1969; Eastern General Hospital building, plant etc 1960-1966; Northern General Hospital building, plant etc 1960-1967; Leith Hospital building, plant etc 1959-1966; miscellaneous 1960-1968

Dates

  • 1948-1974

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

Set up as a result of the NHS (Scotland) Act of 1947 under the control of the South Eastern Regional Hospital Board. Operated until the reorganisation of the NHS in 1974. The following were included: Eastern General Hospital, Leith Hospital, Musselburgh Maternity Hospital, Northern General Hospital, Western General Hospital. From 1974-1984, these hospitals were part of the North Lothian District of Lothian Health Board.

Extent

1 shelf metre: papers

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Mrs Hewitt, Home Warden, Eastern General Hospital, April 1983

Accruals

No further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Lothian Health Board (LHB37)Lothian Health Board (LHB37)North Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB27)North Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB27)South Eastern Regional Hospital Board (LHB38)
Title
Edinburgh Northern Hospitals Board of Management

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392