Roodlands General Hospital
Scope and Contents
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Public access to these records is governed by UK data protection legislation, the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, and the latest version of the Scottish Government Records Management: Health and Social Care Code of Practice (Scotland). Whilst some records may be accessed freely by researchers, the aforementioned legislation and guidelines mean that records conveying sensitive information on named individuals may be closed to the public for a set time.
Where health records relate to named deceased adults, they will be open 75 years after the latest date referenced, on the next 1 January. Case records of individuals below 18 years of age or adults not proven to be deceased will be open 100 years after the latest date recorded, on the next 1 January. Further information on legislation and guidelines covering medical records can be found here: https://bit.ly/2CXB4V8.
LHSA encourages the use of these records for legitimate clinical, historical and genealogical research purposes, and records that are designated as closed can be consulted by legitimate researchers if certain conditions are met. Please contact the LHSA Archivist for more details regarding procedures on how you can apply for permission to view closed records. Telephone us on: 0131 650 3392 or email us at email@example.com.
Biographical / Historical
Roodlands General Hospital was originally the infectious diseases hospital for the western district of the County of East Lothian. It first appears in Burdett’s Hospitals and Charities in 1922/23, at this time the hospital had 34 beds. At the reorganisation of local authority health services in 1930, it was decided that all cases of infectious diseases in the county and the seven burghs of East Lothian should be treated in this hospital. Consequently, its name was changed from the Combination Hospital, Haddington to the County Infectious Diseases Hospital. By this time the hospital housed 70 beds in total.
In 1948, the hospital transferred to the National Health Service and became part of the East Lothian Hospitals Board of Management (see LHB17). Its use changed to a general hospital and it was renamed Roodlands General Hospital. On the reorganisation of the National Health Service in 1974, it became part of the North Lothian District of Lothian Health Board (see LHB27).
Copies of press cuttings and notes relating to East Lothian hospitals will be found at GN79.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Roodlands General Hospital
- Mike Barfoot, Jenny McDermott, Farhana Islam.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script