Skip to main content

Haig Ferguson Memorial Home

Identifier: GD1-7

Scope and Contents

Constitution of Lauriston Home, pre-1925; annual reports, 1955-1973; details of Home's committee and aims from Charitable Directory; "Charitable Organisations Appeal 1966" with entry for Home


  • Creation: c1925-1973

Language of Materials


Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

Founded in 1899 by Dr. James Haig Ferguson to provide accommodation for unmarried women expecting their first baby. It was situated at 118 Lauriston Place and known as the Lauriston Home. In 1925 it moved to 4 Lauriston Park, and after Dr. Haig's death in 1936 it was renamed in his memory. The Home closed in 1974.


20 items: bound volumes, papers


Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Papers held by John Sturrock, Chairman of the Home's Management Committee 1956-1971

Immediate Source of Acquisition

John Sturrock, November 1992


No further accessions expected

Haig Ferguson Memorial Home
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392