Skip to main content

Second Scottish General Hospital Craigleith

 Fonds
Identifier: GD1-82

Scope and Contents

"Craigleith Hospital Chronicle" 1915-1916 (incomplete run of issues)

Dates

  • 1915-1916

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

None

Biographical / Historical

Craigleith Poorhouse was founded in 1868 and served the St Cuthbert's district of Edinburgh. It included an Infirmary for the care of sick paupers. In 1914 the Poorhouse was taken over as a military hospital and renamed the 2nd Scottish General Hospital, Craigleith. The "Craigleith Chronicle" served as the Hospital's wartime magazine. The Poorhouse returned to its former function in 1919, and in 1929 it became the Western General Hospital.

Extent

13 items: bound volumes

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Items held within Duncanson family

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Margaret Duncanson, Aberdeen, April 1979

Accruals

No further accessions are expected
Title
Second Scottish General Hospital Craigleith

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392