Skip to main content

Chalmers Hospital

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB4

Scope and Contents

Management 1861-1949; finance 1947-1960; administration 1913-1990; history of the hospital 1926-1975; staff 1894-1978; nursing 1938-1986; patients (bound records) 1901-1983

Dates

  • 1861-1986

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Public access to these records is governed by UK data protection legislation, the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, and the current Scottish Government Records Management: NHS Code of Practice (Scotland). Whilst some records may be accessed freely by researchers, the aforementioned legislation and guidelines mean that records conveying sensitive information on named individuals may be closed to the public for a set time. Where records relate to named deceased adults, they will be open 75 years after the latest date referenced in the record, on the next 1 January. Case records of individuals below 18 years of age or adults not proven to be deceased will be open 100 years after the latest date recorded in the record, on the next 1 January. Further information on legislation and guidelines covering medical records can be found on the LHSA webpage.

LHSA encourages the use of these records for legitimate clinical, historical and genealogical research purposes, and records that are designated as closed can be consulted by legitimate researchers if certain conditions are met. Please contact the LHSA Archivist for more details regarding procedures on how you can apply for permission to view closed records. Telephone us on: 0131 650 3392 or email us at lhsa@ed.ac.uk

Biographical / Historical

Founded through a bequest to the Faculty of Advocates by George Chalmers (1773-1836), an Edinburgh plumber and burgess. Lauriston House was purchased and the Hospital opened in 1872, taking a mixture of private and non-paying patients. It was requisitioned for injured civilians in 1939. Private beds were lost with the coming of the NHS in 1948. In 1951 Chalmers amalgamated with the Hospital for Diseases of Women Edinburgh. From 1948-1970, it was part of the Edinburgh Central Hospitals of South Eastern Regional Hospital Board and was with the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Associated Hospitals Board of Management, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Associated Hospitals Unit and Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh National Health Service Trust thereafter.

Extent

8 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers, objects

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

A Masson, October 1984, and R. Purves, RIE NHS Trust, November 1998

Accruals

No further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Edinburgh Central Hospitals Board of Management (LHB29) Hospital for Diseases of Women Edinburgh (LHB31).Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (LHB1)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Associated Hospitals Board of Management (LHB2) Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Samaritan Society (GD2)South Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB28)

Bibliography

Boog Watson, W.N. A short history of Chalmers Hospital. Edinburgh: Livingstone, 1964.

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392