Skip to main content

Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Sick Children

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB5

Scope and Contents

LHB5: Management 1859-1948; administration 1859-1961; finance 1859-1956; plans and buildings 1861-1958; history and publications 1859-1969; staff 1876-1982; Muirfield Convalescent Home 1897-1952; patients (bound records) 1860-1954; LHB5A: Sick Children's Appeal 1991-1992

Dates

  • 1859-1992

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Public access to these records is governed by UK data protection legislation, the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, and the current Scottish Government Records Management: NHS Code of Practice (Scotland). Whilst some records may be accessed freely by researchers, the aforementioned legislation and guidelines mean that records conveying sensitive information on named individuals may be closed to the public for a set time. Where records relate to named deceased adults, they will be open 75 years after the latest date referenced in the record, on the next 1 January. Case records of individuals below 18 years of age or adults not proven to be deceased will be open 100 years after the latest date recorded in the record, on the next 1 January. Further information on legislation and guidelines covering medical records can be found on the LHSA webpage.

LHSA encourages the use of these records for legitimate clinical, historical and genealogical research purposes, and records that are designated as closed can be consulted by legitimate researchers if certain conditions are met. Please contact the LHSA Archivist for more details regarding procedures on how you can apply for permission to view closed records. Telephone us on: 0131 650 3392 or email us at lhsa@ed.ac.uk

Biographical / Historical

Opened in 1860 as Edinburgh Hospital for Sick Children, and received Royal patronage in 1863. It was originally situated in the Lauriston Lane area then moved to current building in Sciennes Road designed by G Washington Brown, 1895. Muirfield Convalescent Home opened in 1909. In 1948 it became part of the Edinburgh Central Hospitals of South Eastern Regional Hospital Board and in 1974-1984, part of South Lothian District of Lothian Health Board. It is now known as Edinburgh Sick Children's NHS Trust Hospital.

Extent

30.4 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Royal Hospital for Sick Children

Accruals

Further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Edinburgh Central Hospitals Board of Management (LHB29)Edinburgh Central Hospitals Board of Management (LHB29)Guthrie, Douglas, medical historian (GD1/36)Guthrie, Douglas, medical historian (GD1/36)Penicillin, wartime distribution to civilians in Edinburgh (GD1/74)Penicillin, wartime distribution to civilians in Edinburgh (GD1/74)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Samaritan Society (GD2)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Samaritan Society (GD2)South Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB28)

Bibliography

Guthrie, Douglas. The Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Sick Children 1860-1960. Edinburgh: E and S Livingstone, 1960.
Title
Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Sick Children

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392