Skip to main content

Leith Hospital

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB6

Scope and Contents

Management 1846-1948; administration 1905-1985; patients (bound records) 1904-1987

Dates

  • 1846-1987

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year and 75 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

Origins lie in the Edinburgh and Leith Humane Society, 1788. A dispensary opened in 1815 followed by a casualty hospital in 1837. Both combined to form Leith Hospital in 1848, which was formally incorporated in 1907. Thereafter it served as a general hospital for men, women and children and included an accident unit. Women medical students were admitted for clinical instruction in 1886. Leith Hospital became part of the Edinburgh Northern Hospitals under the South Eastern Regional Hospital Board. From 1974, it was part of the North Lothian District of Lothian Health Board. The hospital closed in 1987 and functions were transferred to Western General Hospital.

Extent

14.8 shelf metres: papers, bound volumes

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Leith Hospital Administrator, May 1986

Accruals

No further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Bruce, Alexander Ninian (GD1/43)Edinburgh Northern Hospitals Board of Management (LHB11)North Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB27Pathology Department, University of Edinburgh (GD20)Penicillin, wartime distribution to civilians (GD1/74))Western General Hospital (LHB13)

Bibliography

Boyd, David H.A. Leith Hospital 1848-1988. Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press, 1990.

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392