Dunbar Cottage Hospital
Scope and Contents
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Public access to these records is governed by UK data protection legislation, the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, and the latest version of the Scottish Government Records Management: Health and Social Care Code of Practice (Scotland). Whilst some records may be accessed freely by researchers, the aforementioned legislation and guidelines mean that records conveying sensitive information on named individuals may be closed to the public for a set time.
Where health records relate to named deceased adults, they will be open 75 years after the latest date referenced, on the next 1 January. Case records of individuals below 18 years of age or adults not proven to be deceased will be open 100 years after the latest date recorded, on the next 1 January. Further information on legislation and guidelines covering medical records can be found here: https://bit.ly/2CXB4V8.
LHSA encourages the use of these records for legitimate clinical, historical and genealogical research purposes, and records that are designated as closed can be consulted by legitimate researchers if certain conditions are met. Please contact the LHSA Archivist for more details regarding procedures on how you can apply for permission to view closed records. Telephone us on: 0131 650 3392 or email us at email@example.com.
Biographical / Historical
Dunbar Cottage Hospital has its origins in the Battery Hospital, a small military hospital which functioned during the First World War. At the end of the war, local doctors and others decided to utilise the building to found a cottage hospital. Dunbar and District Cottage Hospital opened in July 1919 and continued to operate in the Battery Hospital building until December 1926. Funds were raised to purchase a larger building and in 1927, the managers acquired Yorke Lodge. The house was altered and opened as a cottage hospital in May 1927.
On transfer to the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital became part of the East Lothian Hospitals Board of Management, under the South Eastern Hospital Board (see LHB17). At this time its name was changed to Dunbar Cottage Hospital; its bed complement was 13. The hospital closed in March 1973 when hospital services in Dunbar were centralised at Belhaven Hospital. The building has since been used as a holiday home for patients. At the reorganisation of the National Health Service in 1974, the hospital became part of the North Lothian District of Lothian Health Board (see LHB27).
A brief history of the hospital will be found in the 1948 Annual Report (LHB18/2/33). Copies of press cuttings and notes relating to East Lothian Hospitals will be found at GN79.
0.4 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Dunbar Cottage Hospital
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script