Skip to main content

City Hospital

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB23

Scope and Contents

Administration 1887-1994; nursing 1889-1993; patients (bound and unbound records) 1894-1990

Dates

  • 1887-1994

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year and 75 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

The origin of the hospital lies in Edinburgh Town Council's use of Canongate Poorhouse for epidemic infectious diseases from 1871. Local authorities in Scotland were required to make such provision under the terms of the Public Health (Scotland) Act of 1867. Around this time the Royal Infirmary refused to admit cases of smallpox and cholera and further emergency accommodation was arranged it part of the City Poorhouse at Forrest Road. When the Infirmary moved to Lauriston Place in 1879, the Town Council acquired the Infirmary's old buildings in the High School Yards area. Under the control of Sir Henry Littlejohn, the City Medical Officer of Health, this became known as the City Fever Hospital. In 1903 it moved to a new site at Colinton Mains and became know as the City Hospital for Infectious Diseases. In 1948 the City Hospital became part of the Board of Management of the Royal Victoria and Associated Hospitals. In 1974 it was part of the South Lothian District of Lothian Health Board. After 1984 it was part of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh&Associated Hospitals Unit and subsequently the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh National Health Service Trust Hospital. From 1997, most of the hospital services were transferred from the City to other hospitals in the area following ongoing restructuring programmes. The hospital finally closed in March 2002.

Extent

11.5 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers, photographic material

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Medical Records Officer, City Hospital, November 1983

Accruals

No further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Joe, Alexander, medical practitioner (GD1/94)Joe, Alexander, medical practitioner (GD1/94)Leitch, Jean Walker, nurse (GD1/92)Leitch, Jean Walker, nurse (GD1/92)Penicillin, wartime distribution to civilians GD1/74)Penicillin, wartime distribution to civilians GD1/74)Public Health Department of the City of Edinburgh (LHB16)Public Health Department of the City of Edinburgh (LHB16)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (LHB1)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (LHB1)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Samaritan Society (GD2)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Samaritan Society (GD2)Royal Victoria and Associated Hospitals Board of Management (LHB10)Royal Victoria and Associated Hospitals Board of Management (LHB10)Samuel, Catherine Bruce, nurse (GD1/46)Samuel, Catherine Bruce, nurse (GD1/46)Shepherd, A., nurse (GD1/80)Shepherd, A., nurse (GD1/80)South Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB28)

Bibliography

Gray, James A., The Edinburgh City Hospital, Tuckwell Press 2000

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392