Skip to main content

Astley Ainslie Hospital

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB35

Scope and Contents

Management and administration 1876-1974; patients (bound records) 1931-1975

Dates

  • 1876-1975

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year and 75 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

The hospital arose from the residue of the estate of David Ainslie of Costerton, Midlothian who died in 1900. It was opened in 1923 and called the Astley Ainslie Institution and was specifically for the relief of convalescents from the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. From being a convalescent hospital it became a leading rehabilitation centre and also a training school for occupational therapists. In 1948 it came under the South Eastern Regional Hospital Board and was later linked with Edenhall Hospital, Musselburgh under the Board of Management of Edinburgh Convalescent Hospitals. In 1974 it became part of the South Lothian District of Lothian Health Board. In 1986 it became part of the United Hospitals Unit.

Extent

5.75 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Astley Ainslie Hospital, October 1988

Accruals

Further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Samaritan Society (GD2)South Lothian District, Lothian Health Board (LHB28)

Bibliography

Smith, Charles J., Between the streamlet and the town: a brief history of the Astley Ainslie Hospital. Edinburgh: Astley Ainslie Hospital, 1989
Title
Astley Ainslie Hospital

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392