Skip to main content

Bangour General Hospital

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB40

Scope and Contents

Patients (bound records) 1959-1988; patients (unbound records) 1939-1948; buildings 1953-1954

Dates

  • 1939-1988

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Normal 75 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

Bangour General Hospital was built during the Second World War as an annexe to Bangour Village Hospital for Mental Diseases and was run by the Department of Health for Scotland under the Emergency Hospitals Scheme. When the demand for beds to treat war-time casualties did not materialise, accommodation was made available to a neuro-surgical unit working in conjunction with the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. Tuberculosis patients also began to be admitted, and facilities to treat plastic and facio-maxillary surgery and thoracic surgery were established. In 1974 it was decided to build a new general hospital for West Lothian at Livingston, and in 1989 services began to be transferred there. Bangour General Hospital closed in the early 1990s.

Extent

5.3 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Jim Eunson, West Lothian NHS Trust

Accruals

Further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Levin, Ernst, medical practitioner (GD8)Levin, Ernst, medical practitioner (GD8)Penicillin, wartime distribution to civilians (GD1/74)Penicillin, wartime distribution to civilians (GD1/74)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (LHB1)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (LHB1)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh Samaritan Society (GD2)

Bibliography

Hendrie, W.F. and MacLeod, D.A.D. The Bangour story: a history of Bangour Village and General Hospitals. Edinburgh: Mercat Press, 1992
Title
Bangour General Hospital

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392