Skip to main content

Bruntsfield Hospital and Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital

 Fonds
Identifier: LHB8-LHB8A

Scope and Contents

Bruntsfield and Elsie Inglis: management 1883-1966; administration 1879-1989; history, press and publications 1909-1988; photographs 1885-1987; Bruntsfield: patients (bound records) 1885-1969; Elsie Inglis: management 1948-1988; administration 1919-1988; patients (bound records) 1903-1988

Dates

  • 1879-1989

Language of Materials

English.

Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year and 75 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

Developed from the Edinburgh Provident Dispensary for Women and Children and opened by Sophia Jex-Blake (1840-1912) in 1878 at 73 Grove Street. In 1885 it began to offer a limited number of hospital beds and changed its name to the Edinburgh Hospital and Dispensary for Women and Children. In 1899 the Executive Committee of the Hospital acquired the home of Jex-Blake after she retired, which became known as Bruntsfield Hospital. In 1910, the Hospital amalgamated with the Hospice founded by Elsie Inglis (1864-1917). In 1925 the surplus funds of the Scottish Women's Hospitals set up by Inglis was used to provide a memorial to her work. The Elsie Inglis opened in 1925. With the coming of the NHS, the hospitals became part of the Edinburgh Southern Hospitals under the South Eastern Regional Hospital Board. Bruntsfield Hospital closed in 1989. Elsie Inglis became part of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Associated Hospitals Unit in 1984 and closed in 1988.

Extent

15.4 shelf metres: bound volumes, papers, photographs

Arrangement

Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Miss Baxter, Nursing Officer, Bruntsfield Hospital November 1982, Miss Harrison, Senior Nursing Officer, Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital November 1982, and Bruntsfield Hospital, 1989

Accruals

No further accessions are expected

Bibliography

Balfour, F. Dr Elsie Inglis. London: Hodder and Stoughton, [1918]
Bell, E. Moberly. Storming the citadel. London: Constable and Co.,1953
Leneman, Leah. Elsie Inglis; founder of battlefield hospitals run entirely by women. Edinburgh: National Museums of Scotland, 1998
Leneman, Leah. In the service of life: the story of Elsie Inglis and the Scottish women's hospitals. Edinburgh: Mercat Press, 1994
McLaren, E Shaw. A history of the Scottish Women's Hospitals. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1919
Tait, H P. Dr Elsie Maud Inglis (1864-1917): a great lady doctor. Edinburgh: Bridgend Press, 1964
Allen, Maggie and Elder, Michael. The walls of Jericho : a novel based on the life of Sophia Jex-Blake. London : British Broadcasting Corporation, 1981
Roberts, Shirley. Sophia Jex-Blake: a women pioneer in nineteenth-century medical reform. London: Routledge, 1993
Todd, Margaret Georgina. The life of Sophia Jex-Blake. London : Macmillan, 1918
Title
Bruntsfield Hospital and Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392