Skip to main content

Eye Ear and Throat Infirmary of Edinburgh

Identifier: LHB32

Scope and Contents

Managers' minutes 1914-1947; annual report 1946-1947; miscellaneous 1938


  • Creation: 1914-1947

Language of Materials


Conditions Governing Access

Normal 30 year and 75 year Scottish closure rules apply

Biographical / Historical

The Eye Infirmary of Edinburgh was founded in 1834. In 1883 departments for ear, nose and throat cases were added and the name changed to the Eye, Ear and Throat Infirmary of Edinburgh. It 1922 it was amalgamated with the Eye Dispensary which had been founded in 1822. Both institutions were located in Cambridge Street. In 1948 it became part of the Board of Management of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Associated Hospitals. It ceased to provide in-patient services a year later and thereafter housed an orthoptic clinic, and artificial eye centre and the school eye service. These services were transferred to the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion when it opened in 1969.


0.5 shelf metres: bound volumes, photographs


Chronological within record class

Other Finding Aids

Manual item-level descriptive list available

Custodial History

Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Accessioned pre-1980, no details available


No further accessions are expected

Related Materials

Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (LHB1)Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Associated Hospitals Board of Management (LHB2).

Eye Ear and Throat Infirmary of Edinburgh
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392