Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Scope and Contents The collection of commemorative material includes: the correspondence between Furness, Edinburgh University, and organisers of the University of Munich commemoration; list of international guests; postcards of the University of Munich; menus; miscellaneous ephemera from theatres and concert halls; formal programme of events taking place between 25 June and 1 July 1972; formal invitation to Professor N. A. Furness; programme for celebration concert (Orff's 'Carmina Burana') in the Herkulessaal...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of photo albums (filed arbitrarly) and small drawer sets of postcards (filed geographically). They show European buildings, many ecclesiastical. The subjects are: Italian sculpture; paintings and drawings (possibly of French examples); church exteriors (England, Italy); church interiors (Italy, France, England); domestic exteriors (France); secular exteriors (Italy); secular interiors; doors and doorways (England); wells and fountains; bridges; gateways; steps and...
Scope and Contents Consists of inscribed and annotated books from Koestler's library, along with English-language editions and translations of his work into many languages; and Koestler's manuscripts and papers from 1940 to March 1983. Also contains correspondence with or about members of Koestler's family; personal material including diaries, address books, medical files and other personal documents; literary manuscripts including interviews, broadcasts and speeches; correspondence with specific people; personal...
Scope and Contents Biographical and personal papers, c mid 19th century-1972; Publications authored and co-authored by Thomson, 1904-1954; Unpublished materials by Thomson, 1897-1954; Publications collected by Thomson regarding education, intelligence, psychology, and statistics, 1879-1971 Unpublished material collected by Thomson and authored by others, c mid 20th...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of notes mainly on Egyptian hieroglyphics, including studies for a dictionary of hieroglyphics. In addition to the volumes and boxed notebooks there are a number of folded documents and miscellaneous manuscripts.
Dates: 19th century
Scope and Contents The Forbes papers consist of unsorted material under the headings of: astronomers, conferences, faculty and departmental papers, journals, lectures and lecture notes, Medical Archive Centre, observatories, publications and publishing, research projects and funding, reviews, societies and institutions, and Newcastle Polytechnic and the University of Glasgow.
Dates: 20th century
Scope and Contents The material is composed of circa 177 letters with some replies, both manuscript and typescript, and circa 13 postcards, as well as his Lebenserinnerungen.
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents Gen.2187 - The papers of Professor Otto Schlapp include: class certificates, session 1880-81, for Rhetoric and English Literature, and Sanskrit and Comparative Philology; a medal, session 1880-81, for Sanskrit; LL.D diploma dated 1930; letters, tributes and a decorated formal address on retirement, 11 July 1929; a copy of Schlapp's thesis; a copy of his letter of application to the Chair along with testimonials and other documents; an address on the place of modern languages in examinations for...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of 11 unsorted boxes of papers which contain research notes (linguistics, ethonology and anthropology in South Arabia), bibliography notes, newspapers related to events in South Arabia, photocopies of Arabic manuscripts, typed notes on the political and military situation in Yemen during the 1960s (North Yemen Civil War). Papers relating to academic research, containing Serjeant’s own...
- Arabic language 1
- Arabic literature | 1
- Astronomers 1
- Child psychology 1
- Durham England 1
- Edinburgh -- Scotland 1
- Education 1
- Education research 1
- Egyptology 1
- Eugenics 1
- German Language 1
- German literature | 1
- Heredity 1
- Hieroglyphics 1
- Intelligence 1
- Intelligence tests 1
- Linguistics 1
- Manuscripts, Arabic 1
- Mathematics 1
- Newcastle Upon Tyne (England) 1
- Newcastle-under-Lyme (England) 1
- Psychology 1
- Statistics 1
- Strasburg Germany 1
- Yemen (Arab Republic) History 1962-1970 1
- Yemen (Arab Republic)--History--Revolution, 1962. 1
- Yemen | Description and travel 1 ∧ less
- French 4
- Arabic 2
- Egyptian (Ancient) 1
- Italian 1
- Multiple languages 1
- Swedish 1 ∧ less
- Armstrong College (University of Durham). Durham College of Science (1871 -) 1
- Duff, James Fitzjames, Sir, 1898?1970 (educationist and academic administrator) 1
- Edinburgh Provincial Training Centre (1907-1959) 1
- Forbes, Eric Gray, 1933-1984, Professor of the History of Science 1
- Kant, Immanuel, 1724-1804, Philosopher 1
- Koestler, Arthur, CBE, 1905-1983 (Hungarian-British author and journalist) 1
- Lawley, Derrick, 1915-2012 (statistician) 1
- Ledermann, Walter (1911-2009) 1
- Moray House College of Education (1959-1991) 1
- Richardson, James, d. 1877 (egyptologist) 1
- Schlapp, Otto, 1859-1939, Professor of German, Edinburgh University 1
- Scottish Council for Research in Education (fl. 1928-2003) 1
- Serjeant, Marion, d 2013 (Edinburgh-based doctor, wife of Robert Serjeant) 1
- Serjeant, Robert Bertram, 1915-1993 (Professor of Arabic, Cambridge) 1
- Thomson, Godfrey Hilton, Sir, 1881-1955 (psychologist and Bell Professor of Education, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Thomson, Hector, 1917-2008 (senior lecturer of ancient and modern Greek, University of Aberdeen) 1
- Thomson, Jane, Lady, fl. 1890-1971 1
- Traube, Isodor, 1860-1943, Professor of Chemistry 1
- University of Durham (1832-:) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1 ∧ less