Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Scope and Contents Gathering of loose French currency (assignats), letters, offprints, and a manuscript poem bound in a volume. The reasons behind the gathering of these items are unclear.- Assignats are a short-lived type of French 'fiat money' used during the time of the French Revolution and the French Revolutionary Wars, which resemble bank notes. There are four assignats in this volume, each of different...
Scope and Contents Large quarto volume. Manuscript in pen and ink, in red and black, with numerous illustrations in the style of George Augustus Sala, each mounted on grey card with a gilt fillet border; full green morocco, profusely decorated in gilt and black with scroll pattern with the royal arms in the centre, the spine also similarly decorated, gilt edges; extremities with some wear; rebacked, retaining the original spine; with the paper monogram of Lady Gomm; armorial bookplates of Francis Culling &...
- Names: Aytoun, William Edmondstoune, 1813-1865 (lawyer, poet) X
- Caricature 1
- Correspondence 1
- France--History--Revolution, 1789-1799 1
- Heraldry 1
- Money 1
- English 1
- Multiple languages 1
- Burnes, James, 1801-1862 (surgeon, physician-general of Bombay) 1
- Gomm, Elizabeth Ann, Lady, 1807-1877 (wife of Sir William Maynard Gomm) 1
- Louis Philippe, 1773-1850 (King of the French) 1
- Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 1